Publishing Image service from Mosaic Dataset results in error

09-27-2019 01:26 AM
AndreasBöhme
New Contributor II

Dear all,

I have a problem publishing an Image or whatever service from a mosaic dataset. We are running ArcGIS Server 10.5 and 10.6. The client I use for publishing is ArcMap 10.7. So what I do is as follows:
1. I create the mosaic dataset in an empty File Geodatabase.
2. I add the rasters to the database and compute all the statistics and pyramids and overviews.

3. I say share as Image service and leave everything as is. No error sanalyzing and preview looks fine.

4. The service is created, but I get the massage that there is an invalid source path with there definitley is NOT.

Datasource is registered and we have all the necessary licenses.
Did this a couple of times before and everything went smoothly, now this.....I already contacted the ESRI support but as it is urgent I am also looking for any help here. I heard, that there is a similiar error using ArcGIS Pro 2.3 but the ESRI advised solution there is to ues ArcMAP. This is a bad joke in my opinion if it is a bug.
Thanks for any help.
Andreas

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EarlMedina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andreas,

Based on the information you shared, the problem may be that you are publishing from a 10.7 client to ArcGIS Image Server 10.5/10.6. A common indicator of version mismatch is the 'invalid source path' error in logs. At the time of this writing, no patch has been released for ArcMap to allow backwards compatibility of 10.7 mosaic datasets (backwards compatibility is only offered in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2+).

If the problem is related to compatibility, then using ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2+ or ArcMap 10.6.1 to create and publish mosiac datasets should resolve your issues. For more information on the limitation, as well as steps to manually introduce backwards compatibility on mosaic datasets already created in ArcMap 10.7 or ArcGIS Pro 2.3, see this page: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/imagery-and-remote-sensing/blog/2019/03/28/mosaic-datasets-...  - Please note in order to do this, you need access to ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2+.

Hope this helps,

Earl

0 Kudos
DanielMcCullock2
New Contributor III

Hi Andreas,

Have you tried installing the Mosaic Dataset backward compatibility patch available here ArcGIS (Desktop, Server) 10.7 Mosaic Dataset Compatibility Patch ?

I was unable to achieve what you are describing until I installed that patch.

Regards

Danny

0 Kudos
AndreasBöhme
New Contributor II

Hi Daniel,

thx, finally I figured this out myself and got it to work. So in the end it was just some version conflicts. The error messge should be mor precise for that. Now it works.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Just out of curiosity, what is the format of your imagery?  I ask because my org is working with geotiffs for the first time (in the past we used jpegs, tifs, or sids) and the processing time for generating the overviews is approximately 10 hours which is 20x longer than it took in the past.  I'm just wondering if this is expected behavior when working with geotiffs compared to the other image formats.

0 Kudos