publish textured mesh to from drone2map to AGOL not working

08-10-2016 08:49 AM
johnbrosowsky
Occasional Contributor II

For me publishing textured mesh from drone2map to AGOL does not work.  The mesh appears perfectly on the drone2map map display, and when I click the option to share the scenelayer to my AGOL organization it appears to work.  However when I try to view the scenelayer from AGOL in scene viewer it appears in the legend, and zooms to the correct location on the map, but the 3D textured mesh does not display.  Assuming this is supposed to work presently, are there any tips to get it working?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AnthonyMason
Esri Contributor

John,

Currently the Textured Mesh being created as a scene layer package in Drone2Map is a single level of detail (lod) mesh. Because of this, there is a delay in the first draw of the mesh in AGOL, and after the first draw it is very responsive.

Try to wait and see if it draws. If it is not drawing within 30 seconds then there may be an issue with the elevation values of the mesh and it might actually be beneath the surface of the globe. If this is the case, you will need to add ground control points (GCPs) to your project and process again.

In future releases we will support multi lod meshes to make this experience a better one.

Please let me know if this helps and if we can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Tony Mason

Product Manager - Drone2Map

Lars_ElmkærChwastek
Occasional Contributor

Hi Anthony,

Your comment about the mesh being below the globe surface is an eye opener for me. I've never been able to see my mesh, so that might be the reason.

I'm a bit confused as to why it should be below the surface though. When loading the images at the creation of the Drone project, the z-value is for instance approximately 33 meters for my latest project. Why would Drone2Map suddenly move everything below ground? Point cloud and mesh are both "projected" below the surface.

I can move the point cloud above the surface via Cartographic offset, but that is not a viable solution...

Another thing is, that when zooming to my mesh in Drone2Map, it jumps to 0,0 outside the west african coast, even though my Orthomosaic is placed correctly in Denmark...

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lars, 

I was having the exact same issue, but once I added in some ground control points, processed the data and shared it with ArcGIS Online, it worked perfectly! The help Manage GCPs—Drone2Map for ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS  isn't very helpful but I managed to do it. 

Carmel

MCAGIS
by
New Contributor II

We are using GCP's. Mesh appears in Drone2Map, but in AGO it is below the surface. Seems like projection is set to WGS84 UTM's. I assume standard projection in scene viewer in AGO is WGS84, so not sure where the problem lies? Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Is there a difference if you use a Global Scene versus a Local Scene?

0 Kudos
MCAGIS
by
New Contributor II

It gives me an error when trying to load into local scene. Apparently the textured mesh isn't projected even though i added GCP's. It should be in UTM 17N WGS84. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MCAGIS
by
New Contributor II

Tying to recreate .slpk from the export D2M LiDAR(XYZ), projecting it in proper coordinate system. Will let you know if that works.

0 Kudos
MattFlowerday1
New Contributor III

We have also been encountering the same issue, however sometimes it does display just takes a long time to work.  Scene package displays ok in Pro, Earth and D2M.   (we are using GCP's)

0 Kudos