Publish MD as image service in an ArcGIS Server by ArcGIS Pro

11-27-2017 12:06 AM
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

team,

With many improvements of Pro 2.0, it is time for us to apply Pro into operation from ArcGIS 10.x. One question is related to Pro for data management to an ArcGIS Server 10.x …

Can you advise if ArcGIS Pro (like ArcGIS 10.x) will directly support raster publication as an image service from Mosaic Dataset? If not, what are the main considerations or technical barriers for ArcGIS Pro not to have this capability sooner?

Regards,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Pro cannot publish to ArcGIS Server. See this link Questions and Answers | 2017 Esri User Conference

Is there a plan to allow publishing of services from ArcGIS Pro directly to ArcGIS Server?

No. The introduction of ArcGIS Enterprise, which integrates Portal for ArcGIS, signifies a shift from the client-server pattern to a Web GIS pattern that takes full advantage of the geoinformation model. A key design concept of Web GIS systems – such as ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise - is organizing a collection of items in a portal. Accessing this portal from any device, anywhere, at any time allows you to use, create, and share geographic information throughout your organization, the community, and openly on the web. This information includes items like maps, scenes, layers, analytics, and apps. ArcGIS Server on its own is not capable of integrating into this model without the additional capabilities and content management functionality provided through a portal. For many of today’s advanced GIS service types, including vector tile layers, feature layers, and more, the service by itself does not contain all the information used to style or describe the results. Instead some of this information is part of the corresponding portal item, which gives more flexibility for modifying or changing content on-the-fly instead of going through the full publishing workflow.

ArcGIS Server is a crucial component of ArcGIS Enterprise and can be thought of as the engine behind the scenes, but it does not stand alone in the modern GIS.

larryzhang

thx, xander,

It looks that ArcGIS Desktop still will be used to publish all types of GIS services to new ArcGIS Enterprise (ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, Portal for ArcGIS).

Still confused with the intentions why ESRI has been making the huge effort on the development of ArcGIS Pro (rather than restructuring ArcGIS Desktop and CityEngine as 64-bit HPC packages). So, what 'extra' critical and special roles are ArcGIS Pro going to play in ArcGIS Enterprise ecosystem?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You may want to review the long thread My question is pretty simple - Why?  to see some of the arguments on Pro, both pro and con, etc.   My short answer, there are some new, modern function/platforms that were probably getting to costly to maintain/patch in the older Desktop platform.  Starting fresh, they could start with the more current platform and work from there. 

With that said, some of the current functionality has not been ported over, yet.  See https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro/blog/2017/07/10/arcgis-pro-roadmap 

and another geed thread, re Catalog functionality Add Stand Alone Data Catalog Like ArcCatalog to ArcGIS Pro 

My opinion, once Pro has all the functionality that we need/want, it may become the platform of choice,  but for me it is not yet there.  I have noticed some GP tools run faster, but that is not a reason for me to switch yet, mainly because of historic projects.  But I have seen a couple comments here from the younger generation (or those new to GIS) that they actually find the ribbon in Pro easy to use.....but for an older GIS person like me....still too much clicking to get anywhere.

re: creating and setting up MD, I've been looking at the some of the 

ArcGIS Imagery Workflows | ArcGIS 

to try to simplify my agencies efforts.  The jury is still out whether it simplifies anything for me.  But there are workflows for both ArcMap/Catalog and Pro.  To me, once I have the MD set up, the step of actually creating the image service it much more straight forward.

larryzhang

greeting, Rebecca,

With the roadmap of Pro, it is helpful for us to understand and utilize Pro in the operational workflow.

Certainly, still not find out the real 'technical' barriers for Pro not having the good publishing capability ...

+++++++++++++

Generally, customers always seek cost-effective/ efficient and secure engineering solutions with good functionalities from one major vendor, but it 'must-be' open and easy for users to seamlessly integrate and effectively interoperate with other solution packages within an enterprise, including 'open source' and 'hybrid cloud' environment. In fact, most of enterprise customers also wouldn't expect a perfect solutions with complete engineering and analysis functionalities from a 'major' vendor ...

0 Kudos