Pixel value from mosaic but not a layer?

12-20-2011 05:03 PM
MichaelScott
New Contributor II
Hello!

i apologize if this question has been asked before.  I am creating an image service with a mosaic dataset of gridded bare earth LiDAR data.  When I publish this dataset directly to Image Server, I can add it to ArcMap and use the Identify tool to explore the elevation value of each pixel.  However, the dataset is rendered in the default black to white color scheme.

So, I created a layer file of the mosaic dataset, applying an appropriate color scheme.  When I publish that to Image Server, it works fine and holds the colormap.  But I can no longer use the Identify tool (or any other geoprocessing task, I'd wager) to examine the elevation values.  Instead, it reports back the RGB values of the color of the pixel.

Anyone have an idea?  Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
When you change the display to a 3 band color scheme, the identify tool will return that value(RGB), not the original pixel value.  You can use the stretch renderer and then keep that, but the 3 band will return RGB values.
0 Kudos
MichaelScott
New Contributor II
Thanks, Jeff.  So, I guess the best practice would be to have a ImageService that does not render the data in any way so that it can be used for identify/geoprocessing/etc and then a separate (referenced mosaic dataset?) service if you want to give users a colorful display of the same data.
0 Kudos