Orthorectification of dted file

09-17-2010 01:14 AM
Mohd_Syukribin_Haron
New Contributor III
Can anyone help me how to orthorectify dted file format using image service? I am using arcmap version 9.3.1...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
Please clarify what you are trying to do. Do you want to:
1 - Create an Image Service from DTED data? In which case you can create a Elevation based Image Service definition and then add the DTED files using the DTED raster types.
2 - Use DTED to do orthorectificaiton. In which case you can create a DTED ISDef, publish it, create and ISRef to point to it and then use this as the elevation source for orthorectification of aerial or satellite imagery. (If using Satellite imagery is most likely that the elevation requirement is for Ellipsoidal heights in which case you will want to add an ellipsoid model as a service level function.)

I would recommend moving to V10 which users Mosaic Datasets for such data management and has more integrated workflows.
0 Kudos
Mohd_Syukribin_Haron
New Contributor III
Thanks for the answer. Actually, Im just new to use this image server. Here i clarify that i want to do case number (2):

Use DTED to do orthorectification of aerial or satellite imagery.

I have created a DTED ISDef, and publish it, but not yet create and ISRef. I try to search the tutorial to do this, but not found yet. Is it any tutorial or manual to me refer to? My work is using 9.3 version.
0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
Add the Image services to a map document. Then right click on the legend and you will see an option to save as ISRef. This creates an XML file that contains all the connection information and properties required to establish a connection with an image service. (In V10 this is replaced by using standard LYRs). When creating an ISDef the requires elevation for orthorectificaition this ISRef file can be used as the source. Prior to using an ISRef (or LYR) as a source, ensure that overviews are generated, as the orthorectifiaiton process can depending on scale make very low resolution (large PixelSize) request to the service.
0 Kudos