Orthocorrecting WorldView image using RPC file

06-11-2019 10:40 AM
LeanneLestak
New Contributor

Hello - I'm using two tools, the "Create Orthocorrected Raster" and also the "Geometric" raster function to apply the RPC file for a WorldView 3 image and a high resolution DEM to orthorectify my image. The raster functions work great, I get an offset of ~1-3 pixels but they don't use nearest neighbor (NN) resampling which is imperative for my work flow. The "Create Orthocorrected Raster" tool lets me choose NN resampling, but the image is 200m-1200m off. Has anyone else figured this one out? Thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Leanne

can you give us more information?  Are you using ArcGIS Pro 2.3?  Can you describe how you are applying the raster function?

You should be able to:

1. Load the raster product into the map
  2. Apply the Geometric function to create a new layer (with your DEM)
  3. Set the resampling on the new layer to be NN

Does this not work?

Alternatively if you add your WV image into a mosaic dataset, you can apply the function to the mosaic dataset.

I'm testing https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/create-ortho-corrected-raster-datas... now but I have a pre-release build of Pro 2.4.  If you're getting a large horizontal error, I'd have to confirm if we had a bug in a prior (or current) version.

Cody B. 

0 Kudos
LeanneLestak
New Contributor

Hi Cody, 

I'm sorry I didn't give you the specifics. I'm using vs 10.6.1, ArcCatalog and ArcMap depending on which tool I'm using. When using the raster functions:

1. I'm "adding" a NTF file (using the .IMD) to ArcMap.

2. I then use the geometric function with my DEM (10m USGS DEM) and the RPC file is used.

3. I tried using the resampling function set to NN and it didn't work, but maybe I had it in the wrong place in the function chain?

I've tried the ArcGIS Desktop vs 10.6.1 Create Orthocorrected Raster tool, which I would prefer to use but for some reason it doesn't geocorrect the image, it warps it a bit, but registration is seriously off, like 200m-1200m.

Thank you!

Leanne

0 Kudos
LeanneLestak
New Contributor

Hi Cody, It seems that I can add the NN resampling function to the raster function chain and it's working. It looks like I can use the "Generate Raster from Raster function" tool in ArcMap and ArcCatalog to create an output raster in geoTIF format. I need to be able to code this in arcpy, so it seems like this might all work. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the raster function template in my arcpy code. I'll post again once I'm sure this all works. Thank you! Leanne

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Leanne

I'm curious how many satellite scenes you have, and how you'll use them after orthorectification. I generally recommend against processing an image to create a new output file, unless you have no alternative.  Doing this will double your disk space, and if you find anything that you need to change, you need to take more time and disk space to do it over again.  The alternative - if you're doing all of your work in ArcGIS - is to use the mosaic dataset and generate the required products when accessed, as virtual datasets.

If you're not using the mosaic dataset, I would encourage you to explore if it will meet your requirements more easily/automatically - e.g. it can load multiple raw scenes into a single data structure, and orthorectify them on-the-fly.  You can view and work with any individual scene, or work with a mosaic of multiple scenes.   If you need more information on this, let me know and I'll show you where to find it in the ArcGIS Imagery Workflows as well as our online Help.

Cody B

0 Kudos
LeanneLestak
New Contributor
Hi Cody,
Unfortunately I’m piping these images to another researcher who is running them through MatLab, so he needs a geoTIF. We have plenty of storage for all of this, and yes indeed we are doing this for a slew of imagery, so need to code this.
I’m still trying to figure out the "Generate Raster from Raster function” tool. It seems to be getting caught up on the rasterinfo that is stored in the .XML raster function template file. I will try the mosaic dataset, I will have to put the image into it then export it out. I originally tried that and it was a real hassle going back and forth. But if it's the only way to go, I will use it. I've spent quite a bit of time in the past using mosaic datasets and they work well.

Thank you, 
Leanne
0 Kudos
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Cody B,

I just tried to use the "Create ortho-corrected dataset" tool on a mosaic that I created from multiple worldview-2 rasters, and I received the error message "This tool does not support mosaic datasets". I am using ArcGIS 2.4. If this is correct, not sure about the proper workflow for creating mosaic of worldview images.

0 Kudos
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Wade,
the help for the tool you mention states that it is meant to be used with single raster datasets only. The good news is, as Cody stated above, you can apply a function in any MosaicDataset that does the DEM integration on the fly. To do so - using your worldview-2 datasets, proceed like this:

1. Create your Mosaic (as you usually do)
  2. Open the "Add rasters" dialog
  3. In the Raster Type dropdown select your  "World-View-2"
  4. Select which Processing Template you want applied (Screenshot 1 below - marked with red 1.)
  5. Now open the Properties of your chosen template (screenshot 1 below - marked with red 2. )
    1. In the section general, change Product type if applicable
    2. Go to section processing (Screenshot 2 below - marked with red 1.)
      1. Scroll down to "Orthorectification" (Screenshot 2 below - marked with red 2.)
      2. Select the appropriate Elevation source (Screenshot 2 below - marked with red 3.)
      3. If you choose a DEM you have, select it (Screenshot 2 below - marked with red 4.)
    3. Confirm and close
  6. Select your data path and proceed as usual

"Behind the scenes, every item will now have a DEM properly added to the items "Geometry" function (See other example used for screenshot 3),
which you can see if you open the Raster Item explorer and the function chain for any item

Hope this answers it

Regards
Guenter

Screenshot 1:

Screenshot 2:

Screenshot 3:

0 Kudos
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guenter,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Unfortunately, when I followed this workflow, the resulting dataset was not orthorectified and only 4 bands were included. Eight bands should have been available. Not sure how to proceed. It seems like the best option may be to process the individual rasters in a loop and then add to a mosaic. I know this isn't ideal, but seems to be the most stable.

Wade

0 Kudos
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Hi Wade,

there are different "flavours" of WorldView. For general introductions, please check this: Managing High-Resolution Satellite Imagery—Imagery Workflows | ArcGIS - which also includes a link to access additional python scripts that can help you with some WoldView "standards"

To check yourselves, you have several options:

1) Remember WorldView is a "Raster Type" - so you can go to Catalog, scroll down the appropriate folder to the WorlView Metadata-File

When you see the Sat-Icon, just dropdown and see what this data supports

2) If you know what you have and want - go back to "Raster Type Properties" (Screenshot 2 above previous answer), this time to the "general" Tab:

There is a list of ProductTypesw, depending on the WorldView version you have. Choose from this

Hope this helps

Guenter

0 Kudos