Optimize Raster: Creating raster proxies causing cell size error

05-01-2018 04:54 PM
AngusHooper1
Occasional Contributor III

We are attempting to use Optimize Rasters for creating raster proxy files of airbus imagery (Pleiades, SPOT 6 and SPOT 7) that has been stored in JP2 format. The result of our attempts are three files: the DIM.xml, 2 kb JP2 files and JP2.aux.xml. The JP2 files can be added directly to ArcGIS Pro, but do not display. The DIM.xml cannot be added to ArcGIS Pro as it is not recognised. The DIM.xml cannot be added to a mosaic dataset as it raises a cell size error. The parameters of the gp tool have been kept relatively default, other than adding additional exclusion filters. Any thoughts?

Our end goal is to have the dim.xml added to a mosaic dataset, which references local storage of the JP2 files (now 2 kb, rather than multiple gigabytes). The source location (UNC) of the original JP2 files persists and is readable by the client machine (arcgis pro).

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

When using OptimizeRasters there is a template called Airbus_SatelliteProduct_to_MRF_LERC. Please use that. It ensures that the TIL files are appropriately copied and ensures that the file names do not change so that the DIM file still point to the correct files.

AngusHooper1

Unfortunately, using that template has provided the DIM_*.xml but no .jp2 or jp2.mrf. Any thoughts as to what could be blocking that?

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Strange.  I just tested it here with a collection of SPOT 6 images using the Airbus_SatellteProduct_to_MRF_LERC template for scenes that have .jp2 files and it works. I get a similar directory structure including the .JP2 and .J2W files (that are actually MRF files). The raster products work in ArcGIS. One issue could be the length of the directory names. Can you copy the files to directory close to the root of the drive and try again. I'm wondering if there may be an issue in an internal command line parameters becoming too long. If that is not the issue can you provide a bit more details on what product you are using is it Primary/Ortho/??.

0 Kudos
AngusHooper1

I receive the .J2W files as well. The job file indicates that the .jp2 files have been read and the corresponding 'yes' which indicates an upload status (I believe). The logs have a message for each .jp2 conversion/compression/pyramid creation line: <optimise raster src location>\GDAL is not recognised as an internal or external command. We are using the python toolbox, perhaps cmd line is best? Unless you have another suggestion? The products are Ortho and radiometric Display.

0 Kudos
AndrewLeason
Esri Contributor

Angus, could you confirm, you are using the python toolbox in ArcGIS Pro. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
AngusHooper1

Yes, we are using the python toolbox in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos