Mosaic Dataset: publishing job didn't succeed

09-18-2015 12:24 AM
Labels (2)
esinersoy
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've topology maps including whole country.(Count: 4400, format .ecw, summary file size:30GB)

I created mosaic dataset from  file geodatabase source. All functions of mosaic dataset could be displayed unproblematic however i didn't create image service.

the process executes so much time (1h 43m) and the system gives error (error:the server’s publishing job didn’t succeed)) when i click on the right button on a mouse to mosaic dataset on Arccatalog

Use Configuration;

ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 (Server A)

Mosaic Dataset (Server B)

Desktop 10.3.1 (Server B)

Mosaic Dataset Source Data (Server C)

(When I create mosaic dataser from one topology map in the sam system configuration topology map can be published add image service and I can display it )

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

This is not a technical problem, but a matter of licensing.  Your data is in *.ecw format.  ArcGIS has the ability to view the imagery in the desktop environment, but *.ecw is a proprietary format and we do not have the legal permission to publish images in that format through ArcGIS for Server.

You can purchase a license to publish *.ecw from Hexagon, or you can also convert your imagery into raster tile cache and then publish that cache through ArcGIS for Server.  Note that converting to raster tile cache will require disk space, but after completion you could remove the *.ecw files if necessary.

You can learn more from this recording re: creating and publishing cache:  Esri Training | Sharing Cached Imagery in ArcGIS

NICOLAPEDDIS
Occasional Contributor II

You're right about the licensing problems for the ecw format. But him can convert the datast in MrSID format.

As far I know there is not size limitation if you have the right esri license.

Or you can try the program Global Mapper for 30 days. I made a mosaic of 30 aerial images, total size 9.80GB.

Then you can move the ecw files in the arcgis server.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Nicola

I'm not sure I understand - are you saying convert ECW to MrSID?  That is a similar problem - ArcGIS Desktop can read either format, but cannot create output files in either format (again a licensing issue).  Perhaps you meant to say JP2, which would be very similar to MrSID, and that *IS* possible using ArcGIS Desktop, and the JP2 files could be shared through ArcGIS for Server. 

Given these two options, JP2 would likely result in a smaller data volume than Raster Tile Cache, but I have experienced performance problems with JP2.  It would be best to test a small area, but assuming this is 3 band imagery, the Raster Tile Cache would likely be recommended.

0 Kudos
NICOLAPEDDIS
Occasional Contributor II

Yes Cody, i know the problems about the jp2 format. This format consume a lot of memory. I had this problem making a mosaic to the whole caribbean topographic maps at the scale 1:250k time ago.

But if i remember there is not present a esri license to make an unlimited size of MrSID maps??? Or this license does not exist anymore..???

At least your suggestion[the Raster Tile Cache] is the one working, if you cannot use ecw format or MrSID due licensing problems

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Just to complete the discussion re: ECW, MrSID and JP2:

• When working in ArcMap, we can read any of these formats.
  • If you are seeking to OUTPUT an image file, ArcMap cannot write to ECW or MrSID.  We can write output files in JP2 format.
  • If you are seeking to SERVE the imagery via ArcGIS for server,
    • we CAN serve either JP2 or MrSID
    • we cannot serve ECW
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

I should note to Esin that I am not 100% certain about this.  It should not take 1 hr 43 minutes to return this error, and your last line says

"(When I create mosaic dataser from one topology map in the sam system configuration topology map can be published add image service and I can display it )"

...so it is possible you are running into another problem.  Can you review your last sentence and tell us which types of image files are in the image service that DOES work?

0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

All,

Here in Australia, ECW is a very common format. So we encounter the publishing to ArcGIS Server issue on a regular basis. As a consequence we have a how-to written up that you may find useful. It covers off the three wavelet compression technologies and how best to manage ECW. I think you might find it useful

Publishing ECW Imagery with ArcGIS for Server | Esri Australia Technical Blog

Cheers

Gordon

esinersoy
New Contributor

As you suggest, I turned 4200 topology maps from “ECWto tif” (The same of data was increasingly 300 gb)

I creates a new mosaic dataset which is source at the local files. When I want to create image service from mosaic dataset, the system wants to copy all data into the “D:\AG\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\<MyServiceName>\<MyServiceName>.MapServer\extracted\v101”

I don’t want to take up space of data again 300 gb

Is there a diffrent solution to any data to enterprise database?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

The reason it wants to copy the imagery to the ArcGIS server machine is that the folder the imagery is stored in is not known to the ArcGIS server. In order to prevent this you need to register the folder with ArcGIS server And ensure that ArcGIS server has permissions to access the folder. You will no longer then have to move the imagery. Another consideration though is network speed. If the imagery is stored on a machine across the network it can impact in the image display speeds. I generally recommend hosting the imagery on a local drive to the server or a SAN which the ArcGIS server has high speed access to.

cheers

Gordon