Mosaic Dataset drawing error

08-16-2018 02:21 PM
MikeNelson4
New Contributor II

Started gettting ArcMap drawing errors with Mosaic Datasets after we upgraded to 10.6.1 (from 10.4.1).

Usually happens when user clicks Previous Extent 3-4 times in quick succession and is at a level that is displaying overview. Does not happen when user is zoomed in far enough they are viewing original image.

I have Overviews built, Pyramids not built, Statistics are calculated. Is there something else I need to set or run?

31 Replies
AnnVanSlembrouck
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kory!

JoePlattner
New Contributor III

We just upgraded to 10.6.1 and have run into the issue as well. Was anyone here ever able to resolve it? Any chance 10.7 fixed it?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Joe,  

Looking at the bug status alone (https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEyMDM2Mg==) we see that it has not been fixed.  Though your question to others on the thread is a good one - anybody else on 10.7.x who was experiencing this behavior previously and now isn't?  Sometimes issues are resolved by something else in code that might not have been specifically related to that bug...

Cheers

Joe Plattner‌ I dug a bit deeper into that bug and unfortunately it looks like it probably still does occur in 10.7.1.  I'll get in touch with the development team to see if they can take another look to determine what it will take to address the issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
TereaTinsley
New Contributor

Hi Kory,

I recently installed 10.7.1 and I still get this same error.

0 Kudos
CraigBrowne
New Contributor

We just upgraded from 10.5.1 to 10.7.1 in December 2019.  Since that time, our team received the same pop up error.  Upon further investigation, I followed the steps for Accelerated raster rendering (https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/raster-and-images/accelerated-raster-renderi... ) and the pop up Drawing Map Error no longer appears when panning/zooming in the map. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Kathleen_Crombez
Occasional Contributor III

We are experiencing the same issue in both 10.6.1 and 10.7.1 with all our mosaics.

All mosaics were created in previous versions.

[Layer Name]:  Image:  Function Read Error [Mosaic Function]

[Layer Name]:  Image:  Function Read Error [RasterInfo Function]

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen:

Do these errors occur with the RMDs when performing any panning or zooming with the images visible or does it only occur if you are doing rapid panning and zooming with the images visible as per above discussion?  I have not seen this error myself in ArcMap 10.7.1, but maybe I have just not replicated the workflow of other users on this thread.

0 Kudos
Kathleen_Crombez
Occasional Contributor III

I am not certain how people are defining 'rapidly panning or zooming'.

This error does not occur on every pan or zoom.

But it occurs often when panning and zooming in ArcMap.

When it occurs the mosaic will not render any image, but the next pan or zoom will not error and the image displays again.

Our company upgraded all our computers to Windows 10 (64 bit) in fall of 2019.

At this time we also upgraded ArcDesktop.

Some people are on 10.6.1 and others are on 10.7.1

Not sure what upgrade caused the issue (Windows or ArcGIS)

But I just thought I would mention it since researching the errors led me to this post.

0 Kudos
TomEast
New Contributor

I've experienced it in both 10.6.1 and 10.7.1.  It happens intermittently while panning and/or zooming. Interestingly, I have noticed that it happens more frequently at certain times of the day which makes me wonder if it may also be related to internal, local network traffic.  Our Mosaic datasets are stored on a local NAS server.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

This issue is indeed occurring in ArcMap 10.7.1, but only if you rapidly pan and zoom and the problem resolves itself quickly.  Several endusers on their own machines also encountered this issue, but since it resolves itself quickly and does not persist its not a big deal (Although it would be great if it was fixed at some point in time).

0 Kudos