Mosaic data look like checkerboard

05-07-2021 12:28 AM
IlzeMu
by
New Contributor

I have copied mosaic data from the external disk to the local disk. When I try to load the mosaic data into a new ArcMap document, it is displayed as a checkerboard. But if I first load the mosaic data from the external disk and then the mosaic from the local disk, the mosaic from the local disk is also displayed correctly. What could be the reason for this? And how can I fix it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
IlzeMu
by
New Contributor

Yes it is. And most of them says, that i need to repair the path , howewer when i use ArcCatalog , and then use the repair path (or i have tried tool repair mosaic dataset in ArcMap) the old path is the one that is on internal drive.

0 Kudos
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Do you have access to ArcGIS Pro?  The repair paths in mosaic dataset tool in ArcCatalog/ArcMap has always been somewhat unreliable for our users.  The ArcGIS Pro implementation seems to be more reliable.

Here are some tips on using the repair paths tool that have worked  me in ArcCatalog/ArcMap:

1.  Shortest path possible.  Limit Folder/file structure depth.  D:\gisdata\raster\ is good c:\user.name\documents\blah\blah\blah\blah probable isn't good.  Make sure the ArcGIS Desktop application has read/write/execute/delete permissions to the data store.

2.  Before running the tool, make sure the path depth set in the tool matches the depth to your data source.

3.  Enter the new paths in the GUI and hit enter.  Don't use tab.

4.  Don't do anything else while the tool is running and don't "un-focus" on the tool GUI window.

Todd

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You have to repair the path to the new location if you want to view it on a different location.  

You need to make sure that you are using "relative" paths in your projects

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos