Merge Aerial and DEM

06-22-2015 06:35 AM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

I'm pretty new at dealing with raster data and was wondering if it's possible to 'merge' an aerial image with a DEM in order to try and show elevation relief within the aerial?

The aerial imagery and DEM are both mosaic datasets and located in separate gdbs.

Is there a raster function chain that could be created to do this?  If so, would someone be willing to share what a sample function chain would look like?

Also...once the raster function chain is created, can it be saved and applied later?  I'm curious how that works with mosaic datasets.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but there are a variety of things that you can do with your DEM to help emphasize the topography.  Here's two common processes people employ:

1.  Hillshading - you can make a Hillshade, then in ArcMap put it below the table the aerial in the Table of Contents, then make the aerial slightly transparent so it shows through.  This will make the aerial seem almost 3D.

HIllshade (requires Spatial Analyst)

ArcGIS Desktop

2.  Contour - one can derive contours from the DEM and then display them over the aerial.

Contour (requires Spatial Analyst)

ArcGIS Desktop

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

Chris,

Creating a hillshade and making the aerial transparent is an option, but after reading this blog I thought there may be a better way or a more interesting way to do this using raster functions...and thought I'd see if anyone has tried it.

We have contours, and personally, in high relief areas all they seem to do is clutter the map.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

It seems like the process is very well defined in the blog. Have you tried following the steps? Is there a specific problem you are encountering with the process?

0 Kudos
RajinderNagi
Esri Contributor

The methods I described in the ArcWatch tips is to preserve the colors and details in underlying hillsahde: Using Image Analysis Functions to Display Layer Tints on Hillshades | ArcWatch  and Learn a New Method for Displaying Hillshades and Elevation Tints | ArcWatch

You can create chain as described and give it a try.

0 Kudos