Measuring Chlorophyll-a concentration and sea level temperature

07-04-2018 09:37 AM
VigneshP1
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I am trying to identify how to measure chlorophyll-a concentration and the sea level temperature using the satellite imagery (modis aqua data). Is it possible for it to be measured by using arcgis? 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Save me a search: what has your research uncovered, and why do you think it wouldn't be possible in ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
VigneshP1
New Contributor II

Thanks, Darren.

I am new to the ocean colour analysis using arcgis and been trying to find a source to learn on how do the analysis. I was not sure on how to do this and thought of asking some experts' advice on whether it is possible and if so, some link to learn the methodology. 

Any suggestions would be valuable.

Thank. 

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There is an Image Analysis toolbar in ArcGIS Desktop and apparently an Image Analysis Extension in ArcGIS Pro.  While not as extensive as dedicated imagery analysis programs, you can do some analysis using them.

What is the Image Analysis window?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Introduction to the ArcGIS Pro Image Analyst extension—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

I suspect a larger issue may be getting sensor data that matches your need.  That will take some research to determine.  You will need to determine what bands you will need to be able to correctly discriminate what you are seeking, then check the various data providers see if such data is available.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
VigneshP1
New Contributor II

Thanks, Chris.

I am interested in the chlorophyll-a level near Indian coastal districts and Modis aqua has the data for the entire world from 2002. I also have the shape files for indian districts and trying to overlay them on the Modis Aqua raster file,  to find the chlorophyll-a content in certain kms from the coastal border. For ex, I would like to draw a circle of 25 km radius from each coastal district and create  smaller areas within each circle (as in fishnet) and calculate the chl-a within each smaller area. 

I have checked the image analysis toolbar and trying to do some raster analysis. Is there any source you can recommend for me to learn about ocean colour measurement and sea level temperature measurement for the task I explained here, please. Any textbook or some link would be helpful.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos