MD: Control Scale Level of res change

Jump to solution
01-08-2019 09:57 AM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I have a test MD with 6 inch, 12 inch, 1 meter, and 1.4 meter resolution imagery. It does not make the change from the 1 meter to the 6 inch or 12 inch until the scale is 1:1000. I would like it to change around 1:3000 or so. How can I do this?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Peter!

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing Guenter! 

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

So, it looks like the conversion form PS to Scale...

Scale = Pixel Size * 96/0.0254       

Pixel Size = Scale * 0.0254/96

...makes the assumption that map units are in meters. I am in state plane feet.

Looks like my equations should be--if I did my algebra right: 

Scale = Pixel Size * 96/0.083333333 

Pixel Size = Scale * 0.083333333/96

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes. Original assumption was PS is in meters. PS should be in linear unit of projection of mosaic dataset. So if in feet then PS(ft)=PS(m)*3.28084 and PS(deg) approx=PS(m)/111111

GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Hey,
Content-wise there is nothing to add to what Cody and Peter said .. but this Thread reminded me of a little scripting-work I had done in (had to look it up) 2010 to facilitate these calculations. It consists of an Excel to enter values into and get calculations done ... but more important it contains a toolbox that will create extra fields and calculate values for you back and forth. Please use with care, as the values you give it are not checked for making sense ... I used it at that time when some customer wanted specific topographic maps to 'appear' at very specific SCALES ... so I needed the respective Pixel sizes.
As the Toolbox was from 2010, it did not work in Pro. So I made a quick-hack by just adding an extra tool for Pro and making minimal fixes to the code. The documentation is unchanged and part of the Toolbox/Tools. Hope you find this helpful. As always: No maintenance, no updates, no guarantee, just sharing ...