I would like to create a mosaic from several individual .TIF tiles, however, I am having difficulty defining the existing projection and re-projecting to my home coordinate system.
The raster appears to be MapInfo derived and the TAB file indicates CoordSys Earth Projection 3. Literature seems to indicates this is actually Lambert Conformal Conic. I am unable to locate "Lambert Conformal Conic" on the list of coordinate systems with ArcGIS and have attempted "North American Lambert Conformal Conic" as well as "USA Contiguous Lambert Conformal Conic" without success.
Please see attached sample TIF and its accompanying TAB file.
Can anyone assist?
Hi Jeff again,
last answer before I check out for holidays:
Lambert Conformal Conic also exists in Europe. Best you do a Web-Search for "EPSG Lambert Conformal Conic" - which will give you EPSG codes for different ones that reference this name. With the codes you can go back into ArcGIS and check ...
Hi Guenter again,
Nice to hear from you! I actually located the code..EPSG:3111...but I must be overlooking where it is exactly in ArcGIS. You wouldn't happen to know where that is in the Geographic/Projected Coordinate System list in ArcGIS would you?
I did some cross-checking and it seems GDA_1994_VICGRID94 corresponds to EPSG:3111. The problem is selecting the correct geographic transformation which Project Raster is asking for in completing its solution. Please see attached and any recommendations you could provide would be valuable.
It appears I celebrated too prematurely. Upon further examination and research of the TAB file included with the TIF imagery tiles I've uncovered the following regarding it's supplied information of Coordsys Earth Projection 3, 33, "survey feet", -84.3666666667, 41.5, 42.1, 43.6666666667, 131123333.33, 0:
Coordsys Earth Projection 3 = "3" indicates Lambert Conformal Conic for the projection type
33 = Geodetic Reference System 1980 (GRS 80)
-84.3666666667 = Central Meridian (Origin Longitude)
41.5 = Origin Latitude
42.1 = Southern Standard Parallel (Standard Parallel 1)
43.6666666667 = Northern Standard Parallel (Standard Parallel 2)
13123333.33 = False Easting
0 = False Northing
The last two, False Easting and False Northing, indicate International Feet.
As a whole this should be a Michigan Coordinate System 1983, Zone South, NOAA/NGS #2113
I modified the Spatial Reference of the unknown TIF's to be NAD 1983 State Plane Michigan South FIPS 2113 Feet Intl and they refuse to come in properly. The TIFs show up outside the US off the California coast. I am at a loss. I have attached two of the TIF images (see TIF's 015001 and 015002) as attachments to this conversation in the hopes someone may be able to offer some insight. Any ideas?
I had a look a the included files.
001019.tif is TIF with no georeferencing but includes a .TAB file that defines the project as Lambert Conformal conic_sSP and includes appropriate projection parameters as well ground control points to georeference the image. It displays correctly in ArcGIS.
The other two files 015001.tif and 015002.tif are similar TIF files with no georeferencing, but do not contain any projection information or any control points or affine transform parameters. Even if the projection is defined they would be georeferenced. Initially I though they may be part of a series were the name might be shortening for say the upper left corner (so that the georeferecing could be determined), but there is some overlap between the image and they are not aligned. It appears these are not georeferenced image. The only solution would be to use the georeferencing features in ArcGIS. Note the auto georerencing can be used to georeference to existing imagery (or world imagery basemap) one the approx location as been defined. Once tie points have been defined use the Save As New to create the georeferencing information so that no new image is created.
Thank you for analyzing my situation, Peter.
It was actually something I did (wrong) that affected my outcomes. I had made copies of the original TIF images over to my local to work on them without affecting the original data. In so doing, the Extent was radically changed causing projection issues. To solve the problem, I created a geodatabase and imported the rasters accordingly thereby preserving their original Extent parameters. After performing this operation I was able to modify the Spatial Reference in ArcCatalog and they came in just fine. One simple, and what I thought, harmless action on my part fostered an exponential reaction down the road. Thanks again for replying to my post.