Managing Preprocessed Orthophotos workflow

04-04-2017 09:39 AM
EmilyWindahl
Esri Contributor

This post provides a starting point for users to share questions, answers, and general comments regarding the Managing Preprocessed Orthophotos workflow. Run into an issue? Have suggestions for using or improving the workflow? Share it here.

Esri's imagery workflows offer tools and best practices for managing, analyzing, and using imagery and rasters. Check out the Imagery Workflows page to explore them all.

3 Replies
KennyLohr
New Contributor

Hi.  

I'm having some trouble with the workflow.  I've downloaded and extracted the data and scripts, and ran the Create Source Mosaic tool with parameters as instructed.  No mosaic dataset is created, and the tool does not report any errors in geoprocessing results.  I'm using ArcCatalog 10.5. 

Also, the first screenshot of this tool is a duplicate of the second, so there is no parameters provided for the 2005 imagery, although it's easy enough to modify and figure out.  Except if you paid strict attention to the images and didn't notice, you would be trying to create two mosaic datasets, both with 2010 imagery.  If the tool had been successful creating the first mosaic dataset, I imagine it wouldn't allow the second. 

I am trying to use this tutorial because I am having trouble creating a mosaic dataset with my own data, maybe that would be more helpful to address.  I'm able to load in .jpg tiles to a mosaic dataset, and I've used the recommendations in this tutorial to try and alleviate the issue, however the images are always gray until a zoom level of 1:600.  I tried with some similar (older) TIF tiles and those did not exhibit the same issue.   

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Kenny

Could you please refresh your download and double check the documentation?

First and second screenshots are not the same - This is the first one, referencing teh 2005 data:

This one is second

As for applying these scripts to your own data, I'm not sure why your JPGs do not display.  Did you use the GP tool for your data, and that DID work but the sample data did not?  This script will build overviews (reduced resolution views) for the mosaic dataset so they should display when zoomed out...  

If you try again and still cannot get the mosaics built properly, send me an email (I'll send my address to you via private message).  We may need to do a screenshare meeting to figure out what is wrong on your system.

Cody

0 Kudos
TommyJun
New Contributor

Does anyone have any documentation on how MrSid files should be handled? I'm trialing and erroring multiple things to figure out what work best to create a Mosaic Dataset (source and derived). If an actual technical expert or other users have any more information or resources, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

For example, what are the best settings to create a Mosaic Dataset with Mr.Sid files; what about pyramids & overviews; what about creating tile cache for publishing? How do these relate to creating a dynamic service on portal?

I found a lot of information on Mr.Sid's as raster files being used individually, but nothing for what would work for Mosaic Datasets published dynamically and as a tiled cached in an Enterprise GDB.

I'd appreciate any feedback. I know this forum / comments section is old, but maybe there are people out there who have found the best practices since this was originally published. Thank you for reading this and have a great day!

Just to add, I'm using Arc Pro and the newest versions available on the official ESRI website.

0 Kudos