Make Image Server Layer - 9.3.1

07-28-2011 06:23 AM
BenYoungs
New Contributor II
All,

I am trying to use the 'Make Image Server Layer' tool at 9.3.1 SP1 to use image services as inputs for GP services.

When I try to use the AIS URL in the 'Make Image Server Layer' tool, I get the following error:
"Error 000732: Input image service dataset <AIS URL> does not exist or is not supported". I also tried embedding the image service in a map service and using the AGS service URL. Same error.

When I try to drag and drop the image service from ArcMap into the tool, I get a different error:
"One or more dropped items were invalid and will not be added to the control".

Am I missing something here? Has anyone been able to get this tool to work at 9.3.1?
Thanks in advance for the help.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
The Make Image Server Layer is to be used with a published Image Service.  Are you using a service that you added via ArcGIS Server?  Or the add image server connection?  Also are you the owner of the service?  There can be restrictions placed on the service from the provider of the service.
0 Kudos
BenYoungs
New Contributor II
Jeff,

I am using a published image service in ArcMap using the Add Image Server Connection button. I am not the owner/publisher of the service but I seem to have full access to it.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you are using the Add Image Server Connection, then ArcGIS Server is not involved.  If the service is available via the Add Data button to add it as an ArcGIS Server service, then I would try that in your process.  When you are using the Add Image Server Connection, it is an intranet based service independent of the web.  Hence the error you are mentioning about the url not being correct.  With the Add Image Server Connection, there is not url since you are connecting to another machine rather than over the web.
0 Kudos
BenYoungs
New Contributor II
We have embedded the image service into a map service and published that. When you try to add the map service to the Make Image Server Layer GP tool, you can not drag it into the 'Input Image Service' text box in the tool window, nor can you add it through clicking on the navigate button and going to the ArcGIS Server directory.

The only option is to select services of type 'Image Service', which I'm not really sure how you would be able to navigate to one of those. I even tried to navigate to the ISDef file, but those files do not display within the navigation window.

I also find it odd that a tool named Make Image Server Layer would require an embedded image service in a map service as an input.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
In order for the tool to work, it must be an image service.  It will not recognize a map service, which is what you are creating.  In order for the Make Image Server Layer to work, the layer must be an Image Service published through ArcGIS Server.  

I am not sure what you mean by,
I also find it odd that a tool named Make Image Server Layer would require an embedded image service in a map service as an input.

The cascading (image service in a map)that you are doing will not be recognized.  To see the layers the tool will recognize, open up the tool and then path to your GIS Server.  You should see all of the Image Services created and not the Map Services.

Also 'Drag and Drop' will not work as the layer created in ArcMap is not what will be recognized in the Tool.  The proper syntax will look as the help describes
  "GIS Servers\server3 (admin)\File_TIFF_Amberg.ImageServer."

The layer generated in ArcMap does not have the same information as needed by the tool.
0 Kudos
BenYoungs
New Contributor II
In order for the Make Image Server Layer to work, the layer must be an Image Service published through ArcGIS Server.

Jeff,

That was the key info.  We had services published directly through Image Server as well as map services published through AGS with the embedded Image Service. When I published the ISCDef directly through AGS I was able to get the tool to work.

The documentation (at least for 9.3) doesn't mention this. And I guess you are out of luck if your IS is not registered with AGS (that is less of a problem with the depreciation of the stand-alone IS client at 10 and beyond).

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos