LASzip questions

12-10-2020 12:10 PM
LaurenWeilert
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am new in the use of LiDAR and have some questions regarding LASzip. 

1) I know it takes a while to decompress laz files, but is there a max number of files I should load in at once? I have over 4,000 files from the USGS website and was wondering if it would be more efficient to split the files up in groups or is it okay to put all 4,000 files in at once?

2) I have tried to decompress some files already and it does produce a las file, but on the command prompt from LASzip it pops up as an error and says something about the estimated number of points are going to be coming our differently (when I am able to access the computer again I will gladly provide a screen shot).

3) If the systems stops responding in the middle of decompression and I have to exit out and start over (but I still obtained all the las files it decompressed up until this point), once I try to run it again, will it continue to decompress laz files that have already been decompressed and make doubles of some las files or will it know that certain laz files have already been decompressed and skip over them?

Sorry these questions might be messy, please let me know if you need any clarification over anything!

PS. And if they is an easier to decompress these files please point me in the right direction haha.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lauren, 

this is a good page to start researching some of your questions: Use lidar in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation  

What do you intend to do with the files?

Note: with some conversion and overlay tools you will need to have the 3D extension.

you can convert the LiDAR into different formats using this Geoprocessing tool: Convert LAS (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

here is some information on Las file structures: LAS dataset file structure—Help | ArcGIS Desktop

With Point 2- it would be good to see the screenshot

Perhaps with point 3- if you can split up the files for decompression it should be easier on your machine  

Are you just intending to store the files? 

rogue_recon
New Contributor II

I think this is what they were experiencing. At least, it is for me. Any reason why it would do this? 

rogue_recon_0-1691695761017.png

0 Kudos