LAS Dataset to Raster creates raster area way outside LIDAR extent

01-07-2021 08:29 AM
Labels (1)
DavidBondy1
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm generating a DEM using the LAS Dataset to Raster tool. The output creates cells for a large area that is outside the LAS dataset extent. You can see this below. The black area is the output raster and the red squares are the LAS dataset extent.

Does anyone know if this is typical or am I setting the parameters incorrectly?

DavidBondy1_0-1610036603492.png

DavidBondy1_1-1610036776291.png

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

LAS Dataset To Raster (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Including a study area boundary as a clip constraint in the definition of the input LAS dataset is highly recommended. One reason is to prevent interpolation from occurring outside the real data extent of the survey. Secondly, there can be a severe performance penalty when using natural neighbor options if the data area is not properly defined.

Do you have one?

... sort of retired...
DavidBondy1
New Contributor III

I believe so. I specified the Processing Extent for the tool in the environments section. When I run the tool, it doesn't seem to honour it.

DavidBondy1_0-1610127684089.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@DavidBondy1 I am not sure if each red square in an "extent", which is obviously different than their combined "extent".  This would obviously make a difference

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DavidBondy1
New Contributor III

I had a different polygon that i was using as the study area/LAS extent. I figured out the problem though. I was setting the Processing Extent in Environments as the study area when I should have been setting it in the surface constraints in the LAS dataset itself. Hopefully that resolves the issue. Thanks for the responses!

0 Kudos