Landsat 8 composite (true color) looks washed out after an .mxd save

03-05-2016 05:05 PM
PeterLecourt
New Contributor II

I was just working with a true color composite landsat 8 scene. I adjusted the brightness and contrast to make the image look how I wanted, and saved my work. When I load my saved .mxd, the image is very light and washed out. I didn't alter the image or change any settings before my save, so I can't figure out what is causing the change I am seeing in my image.

I attached a snip of how my scene looks now after I load my save. As I mentioned above, it looked good before the save.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

which version of arcmap? and you did the changes through symbology I presume

0 Kudos
PeterLecourt
New Contributor II

I'm using 10.3. I used the image analysis window to create the composite image and to adjust brightness and contrast

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What is the Image Analysis window?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop I would have a closer read, since it appears in the Options section, that some of the settings are only kept within the image analyst and aren't propogated or potentially saved with the project.  I haven't used it enough to suggest a solution, but there much be a way to save the layer symbology either within the image analyst, or try it within the conventional symbology tab.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you try a different method of stretch from the symbology tab? That should enhance the image, as desired.

Think Location
PeterLecourt
New Contributor II

Had to re-specify "percent clip" and re-build the histogram/statistics

0 Kudos
PeterLecourt
New Contributor II

I discovered the problem was that ArcMap needs to re-build the histogram for the image when the program is reloaded. In the imagery analysis window, the histogram stretch that is applied by default is "percent clip". When re-opening the program, I had to click the histogram stretch drop down and re-specify "percent clip". It would then ask me if I wanted to generate the histogram/statistics for the image. Generating the histogram/statistics solved the problem. I am having to do this every time I reload the program. Not sure if there is a setting I can alter to fix this.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you go to the regular symbology settings, is the symbology saved? and if so, can you save it out so it is reapplied, there doesn't seem to be anything in the image window.

0 Kudos