Is there a Landsat 8 web service that provides interaction with all 8 bands inside of ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
03-29-2017 07:09 AM
AndrewRudin1
Occasional Contributor II

I saw the lovely new Landsat explorer web app Esri built, and I'd like to do the same exploration inside my ArcGIS desktop application (preferable Pro but I could use ArcMap as well).  I tried adding some of the landsat layers on ArcGIS Online's living atlas to my map, but when I go to the symbology/appearance options, it only shows me 3 bands.  I'm trying to mix and match the 8 bands into the RGB slots.  

Is there a specific ArcGIS Online layer I need to add to have access to all 8 bands through a single service?  

Thanks for any help you can provide

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

How to quickly add Landsat and set your own custom functions.

In Pro - Go To Project, Click on Portal (I'm assuming you are connected to ArcGIS Online), Type Landsat in Search, Drag and drop the service on the map. Click DataTab, then Processing Template. You will see a list of all standard templates with a range of band options. Check these out, they may be what you want.

You can also set to None, which will return an 8band service. Suggest you make you screen smaller temporarily (as there will be more data being transmitted). Now create a raster function to create any set of processing for the different bands etc. Test them out (processing done on Pro) and then save as new as a Function chain say to your custom category. Go back to your Landsat 8  Views layer, click again on Processing templates. Go to the end and click on 'Add Custom'. Navigate to the function you saved (you may need to press F5 (refresh)) to see. Add the function. Now the function will available in your Processing Templates list. The function will be sent to the server and executed there. Only the results will be transmitted back to Pro (much less data then 8bands 16bit). Expand your screen again. Don't forget you can also in the Data Tab change the compression used to transmit the data from the server to Pro.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try Landsat 8 Views ?

Think Location
0 Kudos
AndrewRudin1

I tried that layer but it still only exposes 3 bands on the Pro layer (ShortWaveInfrared_1, NeafInfrared, and Blue.  In Pro I'm inserting a "New ArcGIS Server" connection pointed at the URL provided on the page you linked to (Landsat8_Views (ImageServer) .  Then adding the Landsat 8_views service to my map.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In layer Properties > Processing Templates, I can toggle to different function to access different band combinations.

Think Location
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

How to quickly add Landsat and set your own custom functions.

In Pro - Go To Project, Click on Portal (I'm assuming you are connected to ArcGIS Online), Type Landsat in Search, Drag and drop the service on the map. Click DataTab, then Processing Template. You will see a list of all standard templates with a range of band options. Check these out, they may be what you want.

You can also set to None, which will return an 8band service. Suggest you make you screen smaller temporarily (as there will be more data being transmitted). Now create a raster function to create any set of processing for the different bands etc. Test them out (processing done on Pro) and then save as new as a Function chain say to your custom category. Go back to your Landsat 8  Views layer, click again on Processing templates. Go to the end and click on 'Add Custom'. Navigate to the function you saved (you may need to press F5 (refresh)) to see. Add the function. Now the function will available in your Processing Templates list. The function will be sent to the server and executed there. Only the results will be transmitted back to Pro (much less data then 8bands 16bit). Expand your screen again. Don't forget you can also in the Data Tab change the compression used to transmit the data from the server to Pro.

AndrewRudin1

Thank you both for pointing me to the Processing Templates section of the layer properties.  That's what I needed.