Is it possible to use a Mosaic Dataset that is created in ArcPro in ArcMap?

Jump to solution
04-26-2018 08:33 AM
Labels (1)
JamieAndrews1
New Contributor III

I am trying to use a Moasic Dataset that was created in ArcPro (2.1.2) in ArcMap (10.4.1), is this possible?

I've attempted this a few different ways:

1. Create File Geodatabase, create Mosaic Dataset, and Add Rasters all in ArcPro.

2. Create File Geodatabase in ArcMap, then create Mosaic Dataset, and Add Rasters in ArcPro.

3. Create File Geodatabase, and create Mosaic Dataset in ArcMap, then Add Rasters in ArcPro.

4. Create File Geodatabase, create Mosaic Dataset, and Add Rasters all in ArcMap.

#4 obviously works and loads properly, as it is all created in ArcMap, but #1-3 all result in an "Error opening mosaic dataset" message when they are added to ArcMap.

All 4 creations load and display properly when added to ArcPro.

Is this possibly a versioning issue (hopefully), or is this just not possible to do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Jamie.  If you were to create the MD in Pro 2.1.2, I bet that it would open fine in ArcMap 10.6.

I do think that there are backward compatibility issues with mosaic datasets that are created in recent versions of ArcGIS - earlier versions do not read them, and usually throw a generic error.

We have a couple of associated enhancement requests: 

ENH-000098539: Update documentation for backward compatibility of Mosaic Datasets from 10.3.1 to 10.2.2. (though this synopsis should be generic to backward compatibility and not specific to 10.3.1. -> 10.2.2)

ENH-000104429: Add the version a mosaic dataset was created in to the mosaic dataset properties.  (This request is more about making it a lot easier for a user to understand that version compatibility really is the issue if/when they run into it.  We could have doc that talks about version compatibility limitations, but if there isn't a way for a user to determine which version a MD was created in, well...)

pmangtani-esristaff

View solution in original post

24 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jamie,

I'm guessing this is another one of the things that is not backwards compatible. It's likely Pro is making the dataset a different way from ArcMap (and maybe has a different extension like .lyr versus .lyrx, etc.). 

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro?sr=search&searchId=16172430-c1f9-40...

KKramer-esristaff‌ would know for sure.

JamieAndrews1
New Contributor III

Thanks Adrian.

I'm guessing the same thing. I just thought that I would throw it out there and hope that someone else has run into the same issue, with a solution or workaround.
This will be an issue in our company until we can have everyone moved out of ArcMap and into ArcPro.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Jamie

this definitely SHOULD work.  I'm not sure what is causing your problem - please contact tech support and they will help you resolve it.

Cody

JamieAndrews1
New Contributor III

Ok, thanks Cody. Will do.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Apologies for my erroneous reply on this topic...  Thanks to the rest of the Esri team for setting the record straight.  

Cody

VinayViswambharan
Esri Contributor

Jamie - Do you see the same issue if you just  create a mosaics and do not add any data?

For all of the above 3 scenarios, create the mosaic dataset (do not add data), do you still see the issue?

JamieAndrews1
New Contributor III

Good thought Vinay.

I created and tried to load empty (no rasters added) Mosaic Datasets, and I get the same error.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Jamie.  If you were to create the MD in Pro 2.1.2, I bet that it would open fine in ArcMap 10.6.

I do think that there are backward compatibility issues with mosaic datasets that are created in recent versions of ArcGIS - earlier versions do not read them, and usually throw a generic error.

We have a couple of associated enhancement requests: 

ENH-000098539: Update documentation for backward compatibility of Mosaic Datasets from 10.3.1 to 10.2.2. (though this synopsis should be generic to backward compatibility and not specific to 10.3.1. -> 10.2.2)

ENH-000104429: Add the version a mosaic dataset was created in to the mosaic dataset properties.  (This request is more about making it a lot easier for a user to understand that version compatibility really is the issue if/when they run into it.  We could have doc that talks about version compatibility limitations, but if there isn't a way for a user to determine which version a MD was created in, well...)

pmangtani-esristaff

JamieAndrews1
New Contributor III

Ok thanks Kory.

I was wondering if ArcMap 10.6 would handle this issue. I may attempt to load 10.6 on another computer and give it a try.

0 Kudos