Info on Image Server Extension please

09-02-2011 12:10 AM
KirkMower
New Contributor III
Hello:

I have just installed ArcGIS Server 10. [edited] I asked my local distributor (ESRI Australia) for some more information on the Image Server extension - and they pointed me at the info that can be found on esri.com - which I had already found of course. No help there.

[edited] Can someone please help me? Specifically some technical information on using the two approaches for publishing image server extension services based on rasters in the file system (one with no referencing in the geodatabase, and the other with this put in the geodatabase). I simply want to use the ESRI Image Server extension, must I engage professional services just for this information? I know it is an 'extenstion' now, but I did pay for it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I am not sure what sort of 'technical information' you are looking for.  There are hardware recommendations, Tutorials, supported raster formats and comparisons

So there is plenty of documentation, for specific hardware setups that is for Professional Services.  So I am not sure what types of information you are looking for.  If you are running into an issue I do recommend creating an incident with Support for specific help on a problem.
0 Kudos
KirkMower
New Contributor III
[edited]

Anyway, I would like a compilation of image server information rather than a hunt and peck for links. Perhaps instead of so many disparate sources - they could be gathered together - sort of like the concept of a database join...alternatively, the Erdas documentation is a good example of 'technical' information on an image server - copying what they have done would be great. Thanks.
0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor
Hello Kirk,

ArcGIS Image Extension is an extension to ArcGIS Server that is designed to serve mosiacs. Please do not confuse Image Extension with Image Server. Image Server was it's own product at 9.3.1. In version 10 the majority of the functionality has been built into mosaics and Image Extesion is designed to serve these mosiacs. Hence all the documentation has moved from the Image Extension to the Mosaics. I think you will find this quite comprehensive.
Mosaics leave the imagery on the disk but create a mosaic dataset in a geodatabase. A geodatabse can be in ArcSDE or a file geodatabase. Stored in the mosiac in the geodatabase are references to the images, Footprints of the images, Boundaries of the images and reference to the overviews which are created by the mosaic format which give the mosaic it's speed.  A good reference point to start to understand the mosic format can be found at:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/What_is_a_mosaic_dataset/009t000000370...

Once you have completed building your mosaic it is then a matter of serving the mosiac from ArcGIS server unsing the Image Extension.

I hope this helps
Regards
Gordon
0 Kudos
KirkMower
New Contributor III
Thanks for that. [edited] I understand the movement away from Image Server as a standalone product. I understand mosaicked datasets. I understand that the definition of the mosaicked data set is a definition of the footprint(s) and their properties etc. However, I do not do everything myself these days, and the team needs to understand this. I don't expect them to know the history of this stuff from ArcIMS 3 to the present - they just need to use some working tools to achieve a result.

That is - we have file based imagery here - we have ArcGIS Server with the Image Server Extension - and we have ArcGIS desktop with a toolbox. What's missing here is the workflow - not definition of each component part in isolation - yes, those can be found by piecing together the web based documentation. For example - a quick start guide for a clean install of ArcGIS Server 10 (Advanced Enterprise) with Image Server extension. The documentation thrown in about Image Server as a standalone product is confusing as hell - again, I understand these subtle differences, but not everyone does - and I find myself in discussions that are a meld between system architecture and philosophy when trying to dis-entangle the documentation for for my team. [edited] Thanks.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Here is a few of the top level workflows described in the help. I am sorry that you are having issues getting up and running.  Also here is the tutorial for walking through the process.  Also there are additional workflows described here.  Best of luck.
0 Kudos
KirkMower
New Contributor III
Thanks JB - yeah, we worked it out for ourselves - A quick start or two with the download would be great. The separation of Image Server (standalone) and Image Server Extension information online really needs to be better delineated. [edited]
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
While the majority of the information in this thread is of value, including very candid comments about the quality of the software and its documentation, which are all fair game, I've taken the liberty of editing out some parts that in our judgement don't bring enough value to the discussion of the technical topic itself.   I've clearly marked the outtakes with the word "[edited]".  Of course we prefer to edit others' posts as rarely as possible.

Whether any of it should be considered to be readded is an issue I would be open to discuss.  If so, please feel free to contact me directly.   Your freedom to voice your thoughts, and the integrity of the forums in general are very important to us.  Feedback you want to provide to Esri and our distributors are listened to, considered, and in some way resolved.
0 Kudos
ConniePokorny
New Contributor
This thread is kind of old but I'm having a similar problem in terms of locating information and understanding the difference between Image Server, Image Service and the extension. This is 10.2 now have things changed and where is the best place to get this information so I can get up to speed quickly?
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
The information is still valid at 10.2.  Image Server is an extension for server that grants the ability to publish mosaic datasets.  Here is a functionality matrix that may help some more of the details.

The gist is still the same.  Mosaic datasets replace ISDEFs and to publish them (even in an mxd as a map service.. this includes you raster catalog) you need the Image Server Extension.  This workflow replaces the older (slower and file storage dependent process) of using SDE databases to store the raster imagery. The mosaic dataset is much more forgiving of raster differences and does not require the separate toolbar that the ISDEF did.

So to recap your question.  The Image Server is an extension on ArcGIS Server and it creates an image service.  You can also create an image service with ArcGIS Server, but it must be of a singular raster.  So you can publish your tif, img or Esri GRID, but not a collection of them. 

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos