Importing Rasters into Dataset not Displaying Correctly

03-28-2017 09:52 AM
BrianGreen5
New Contributor II

I am working with old black and white aerial imagery, and some of the images are extremely washed out, while others are too dark. I have gone in and adjusted the display of the brightness for these images, but I cannot preserve what I have done when I import the rasters into a dataset, and am having issues getting the rasters to display the way I want after importing into a raster dataset. So my question is this, is there any way to preserve the way I fixed the images while importing into a dataset, or a way to fix the dataset after I import.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is it a raster dataset or a mosaic dataset if memory serves, the latter has color/balance control options

0 Kudos
BrianGreen5
New Contributor II

Mosaic dataset does, but I think it being a single band restricts that option as I do not have it.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try working on different types of stretching in Layer Symbology of the mosaic dataset Stretching a raster to improve the visual contrast—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Think Location
0 Kudos
BrianGreen5
New Contributor II

That was actually where I headed first, however none of the stretch types help with the difference in the over saturated areas or the washed out areas where it is too bright.

0 Kudos
BrianGreen5
New Contributor II

So my solution was this. I adjusted the single band raster's brightness using the image analysis window, then used a function to make a temporary raster for the image. I removed the image from my .mxd. When I was completed doing this I made my mosaic dataset from my .mxd, and used the Export Mosaic Dataset Items tool and made the tool produce new .tif raster in a location to save my temporary rasters. I then just made a new Mosaic. Thanks for the help.