Image service does not start after restart unless done manually

11-07-2011 03:40 AM
StevenDross
New Contributor II
Hello,

Image Server restarts every night and the same service is stopped each morning with the others running just fine.  I then have to start it and manually refresh the service each time and it works fine.  I don't think it has to do with a permissions issue since it works after starting it manually.  Anyone else encounter this problem or something close to it?

Thanks,

Steve
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DaniMaynard
Occasional Contributor
Funny you should mention this...I am also having the same problem with most of my services.  I reboot my server regularly and then have to manually restart EVERY map/image service I have created...except for the Cached world map services ESRI provides on the AGS installation media.

I've looked at the Config files to see if there was any difference in the Startup sections, but there is not.  At this point, I really wish there was a batch "start all services" tool within Catalog that I could run, but I haven't found that yet either.

Running AGS 10 on a Windows 2003 Server.
0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you sure the Service Startup is defines as Automatic in the Service Properties
0 Kudos
StevenDross
New Contributor II
Hello Peter,

Yes the box is checked and still having problems with just that one service.  I will try disabling the automatic restart for the service, restart the machine, and then enable it for the next restart.  Thanks for the response.

Steve
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I would recommend making the ArcGIS Server Service dependent on the Image Server service.  We have seen instances where for whatever reason the Image Server and Server get out of sequence and if Server starts and the Image Server is not running, then the service will not start.  I have also seen some set up a batch file that will delay the start of Server to account for the lag that Image Server has when starting.  Making the Server dependent on the Image Server service should alleviate the issue.
0 Kudos
StevenDross
New Contributor II
Hello Jeff,

I've tried restarting image server before and after server restarts and still have the same results.  The services on server are fine but the image server service will not cooperate.  It seems to do this only when services are added and subtracted from image server.

Thanks,

Steve
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
So you have to manually delete the service from the image server and then re add and then publish in order for them to turn on?  Is the ArcGIS Server set to wait until the Image Server is running to start?  Or prior to deleting the services do they appear off in image server and cannot be started?

At this point, I would recommend calling Esri Support and we can step through the process and see if there is anything else going on.
0 Kudos