Image service disappears on zoom

Jump to solution
06-13-2013 09:59 PM
NeoGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III
My mosaic dataset, which works perfectly, does not work once published as a service in Image Server Extension 10.  If you open the service the overall zoom shows but as soon as you zoom in to any scale it disappears.  It does not seem to be a share/permission issue since all of the other Image services based on mosaic datasets stored in the same geodatabase on the same share all work fine.
I deleted the service overviews and recreated them but the problem remained.  After reading about a bug in Beta 10 where this problem would occur if pyramids existed for one of the images, I deleted the pyramid files, but still no change.  Any ideas?

The mosaic dataset is composed of .NTF files in case you are wondering.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NeoGeo
by
After recreating it the mosaic dataset, it works now.  No changes and as far as I can tell no rhyme or reason for it.  There are several things buggy about mosaic datasets which could possibly have contributed.  For example, I remade this mosaic dataset probably 20 times trying to figure out what the problem was with displaying NITF data.  I notice that if you delete a mosaic dataset, it does not remove the service overviews, which means that if you recreate it with the same name, those same old service overviews are still there.  This would not seem to be a problem if you rebuilt the overviews as I did, but by default the options are checked off to only build overviews that are missing, which means that if you have old or corrupt overviews, they would not get updated and you would be left scratching your head as to why nothing changed from the old dataset you deleted.  In this case I think it was yet another problem since even the base imagery did not display, but I will never know and have wasted enough time on it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
Typically this is an issue with a share and file access in that the server can access the directory that contains the overviews (stored with the geodatabase), but not the primary data. If you say this is not the case here and that any zoom in results in the display disappearing then one possibility is that the Max Size of Request (Cols,Rows) in the default properties has been set too low. Check also the values on the server. Typically the defaults are 4100,15000 which enable requests large enough for the biggest screens and plotting to be allowed, while by default stopping large exports. If these values are set small (eg 1024x1024) then you may get the case where zoomed out the image does not cover the whole screen and is within the limit, but with any zooming the image covers the whole screen and so turns off.
NeoGeo
by
On the image service the max size request is still the default 4100, 15000 and it would not let me increase it.  On the mosaic dataset it was the same but let me increase it, but it did not make any difference.

Besides the very top level overview, neither the service overviews or the base imagery (which usually comes on around 1:4000) displays.  It simply disappears once you zoom to any zoom level.

All of the other image services using base data from the same share and same Geodb display just fine.  To avoid making any assumptions I have gone over both share and file permissions multiple times and they look fine.
0 Kudos
NeoGeo
by
After recreating it the mosaic dataset, it works now.  No changes and as far as I can tell no rhyme or reason for it.  There are several things buggy about mosaic datasets which could possibly have contributed.  For example, I remade this mosaic dataset probably 20 times trying to figure out what the problem was with displaying NITF data.  I notice that if you delete a mosaic dataset, it does not remove the service overviews, which means that if you recreate it with the same name, those same old service overviews are still there.  This would not seem to be a problem if you rebuilt the overviews as I did, but by default the options are checked off to only build overviews that are missing, which means that if you have old or corrupt overviews, they would not get updated and you would be left scratching your head as to why nothing changed from the old dataset you deleted.  In this case I think it was yet another problem since even the base imagery did not display, but I will never know and have wasted enough time on it.
0 Kudos