Image classification wizard not enabled?

09-28-2017 08:13 PM
ChrisWilson2
New Contributor II

Hi guys,

I have been allocated a spatial analyst licence for Arc Pro by our administrator and seem to be able to use the image classification tools in ArcToolbox.  Before this I need to generate training areas for a maximum likelihood supervised classification but the image classification tools are greyed out including the wizard - this seems the only way to generate training areas within Pro, and I'd like to do it that way.  Any ideas as to why I can't see the tools?  I am trying to also check if there is an issue with the install as well, but for now I'm puzzled.

I am running 2.0.0

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Image Classification Wizard help... 

The Classification Wizard is found in the Image Classification group under the Imagery tab, which can be invoked when a raster dataset is selected in the Contents pane.

Experienced users may wish to invoke individual tools available in the Classification Tools drop-down menu in the Image Classification group.

Are either of those approaches not working?

Normally in ArcMap, you have to turn on the spatial analyst extension from within the Customize, Extensions menu, but there is not an option to do that within Pro.

You should check that the extension is not only installed but registered if this is not the case.

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/licensing-arcgis-pro.htm

ChrisWilson2
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

As I've explained above the image classification tools are greyed out and unselectable.  I have read the documentation you have posted, but the greying out of the tools prevents both approaches being tried.  I am assuming that this has something to do with the status of the spatial analyst extension/installation as I do have the extension assigned by our administrator from AGOL.  I can see no documentation now on how to ensure that the extension is present and enabled in Pro.  As you noted, it used to be a case of manually enabling it in ArcMap, but this is no longer the case in Pro.

Edit - I have looked in Licensing within Pro and confirmed that Spatial Analyst is enabled, yet still upon selecting a raster (jpeg or img) the classification tools and wizard remain greyed out.

I would like to solve this early this week if possible, so any further responses are welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No clue then, If you can select the image in ArcMap and everything works, then contact the person who issued the license and see what else has been missed.  

This is where you check in pro so we are on the same page

ChrisWilson2
New Contributor II

Hi Dan.  Yes, been there as well, no clue.  I find the ESRI documentation on this is somewhat lacking on the troubleshooting side, but perhaps I have an unusual issue!

0 Kudos
deleted-user-aARNnP_qOGDY
New Contributor

Hi Chris,

I'm having the exact same problem. No idea what's going on but I'm trying to get in touch with Esri support and I'll reply here if I find a solution.

Jason

ChrisWilson2
New Contributor II

Will be good to see how you get on.  In the meantime I am performing an unsupervised classification using Toolbox and working back from there, rather than defining training areas first.  The other alternative is trying dedicated remote sensing software, which I may be able to access.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

With some hope... apparently people have gotten further before they hit an error sadly, this doesn't apply specifically to your cases

Jørgen_HåstøBorgenvik
New Contributor

Having the same problem as you, Chris! 

Did you ever find a solution for it? 

Cheers,
Jørgen. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I just check again Jorgen, Spatial Analyst licensed, a *.tiff as an image, but the wizard remains inaccessible but the Classification tools are... even though it was a multiband tiff but not displaying as rgb

I suspect that it is the image type since if I loaded some random picture that loaded as an RGB symbology layer, it became enabled.

It is nice to know though that, I can classify a screen grab in *.png format of the Notepad++ screen

0 Kudos