How to Use Inspection Data Outside of D2M?

10-20-2016 02:22 PM
AprilChipman
Occasional Contributor III

I work at an electric utility. We have miles of line that get inspected every year. We have invested in a drone and D2M to help with those inspections.

I want to be able to have a map shared to my AGOL organization that shows our line and poles, but also a layer of the flight path and photos taken by the drone. The end product would be to allow any of the Operations managers to log on to AGOL, open the Line Inspections map and click through the photos of poles and line in our system. I would also like them to be able to edit the points to show which have been reviewed and which show damage that needs repair.

The crowdsourced webapp that the City of New Orleans showcased at the UC and, more recently, the one of the flooding in MS and LA is very similar to what I want to do. Is there a template for that project somewhere? Can we share a service from D2M and into such a template?

Thanks,

April

3 Replies
JamesTaylor3
Occasional Contributor

Hi April,

We have added the functionality to share the flight lines and image points as a feature layer in AGOL.  This functionality will be in the 1.1 release due out after the end of the year.

For now you can publish them to AGOL by zipping up the File Geodatabase found at C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Drone2Map Projects\<your project>\products\D2M.gdb

Zipped File Geodatabases can be shared to AGOL and hosted as Feature Layers.

jt

MikeWolfe
New Contributor

James,

Does the d2M.gdb contain the inspection photos or just the links to the photos.  When uploaded  to AGOL do the photo accompany the gdb or is it pointing back to the orginal source location.  Obviously the former is preferred,

Thanks

Mike 

0 Kudos
JamesTaylor3
Occasional Contributor

Mike,

No images are uploaded.  The ImagePoints feature class only contains point features representing the camera stations (the position from which the photo was taken).  The feature does have a "FullPath" attribute containing the path to the image on the original system/drive, however we remove that attribute when publishing hosted feature layers since it is no longer relevant once uploaded.

jt 

0 Kudos