How to add landsat 8 data to mosaic dataset and also build footprints to remove the outer black rectangle?

Jump to solution
10-14-2020 08:45 PM
AdityaKhare
New Contributor

Hello!

I have 11 Landsat 8 bands downloaded from the USGS EarthExplorer website. I am trying to move them to a mosaic dataset so I can use that mosaic dataset for the Build Footprint tool to remove the black rectangle around each band. I tried to follow this tutorial on How to add Landsat 7 data to a mosaic dataset but got the yellow exclamation mark error. Don't know what I am doing wrong. Please let me know. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

The issue may be that you do not have all the data in the specified directories. Ensure you copy the entire data into the folder as is. The system needs the metadata and all the bands. When loading the data, it does band extraction as required.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Its not clear at which point you had issues. Are you using the Landsat8 Raster Type.

Also do take a look at Managing Landsat8 Imagery Tools.  This provides a comprehensive workflow including the extraction of the footprints.

0 Kudos
AdityaKhare
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did use the Landsat8 Raster Type.

I tried using the tool you sent but still got an empty mosaic back. I have created a folder and put Bands 2, 3, and 4 in there to create a True Color mosaic out of these. In the Python tool's dialogue box for the "Input Source Data" I browsed and selected this folder. The tool ran with no errors, but the resulting mosaic was empty. 

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

The issue may be that you do not have all the data in the specified directories. Ensure you copy the entire data into the folder as is. The system needs the metadata and all the bands. When loading the data, it does band extraction as required.

0 Kudos
AdityaKhare
New Contributor

Thank you! That worked. 

0 Kudos
AdityaKhare
New Contributor

I have a follow up question:

I kept only the first 8 bands in my folder and created the mosaic but it looks dark as you can see in the attached screenshot. Any tips?

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

In appearance click on DRA

Or set a suitable stretch. Remember Landsat8 imagery is >8bit so a stretch need to be applied.

In your screen shot the footprint is a rectangle. Use recompute footprint by radiometry to correct.