How do you synchronize one mosaic dataset with another?

04-27-2020 08:17 AM
Labels (1)
AlexanderKemp
New Contributor

I am looking for a way to update one mosaic dataset with the contents of another. This is part of a quality control workflow where a set of images are added to a 'staging' mosaic dataset and then once they have been checked, that 'staging' mosaic dataset is synchronized with a 'production' mosaic dataset, which only contains image blocks that have been validated.

I have seen the 'Synchronize Mosaic Dataset' GP tool but do not know if it can be used in this way? If not, what is the purpose of the tool and what is the mosaic that is being synchronized updated with?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Suggest you us the concept of Source and Derived Mosaic datasets. Create a 'Source' mosaic dataset as you would any mosaic dataset. Perform the QC. To create a derived mosaic you use the 'Table Raster Type' and select as input the source mosaic dataset. All (or selected) records from the source will be copied to the derived. This is used in quite a number of the workflows. Also see Source/Derived Mosaic datasets.

The syncronize can be used to re-create a mosaic dataset from a source. Say you create a mosaic dataset by adding all imagery from a specific directory and then at a later time more images are added to the directory, then you can used syncronize and it will re-add them to include the additions. It should also be possible to use Synchronize with a derived mosaic dataset. IE if you change the source you can update the derived using synchronize.

0 Kudos
Blevins_Mark
Occasional Contributor

should this also work with referenced mosaic created from a source mosaic? ie i run the synchronize on the referenced mosaic, but the referenced doesnt update with the new imagery. does the referenced mosaic need to be created from a derived mosaic, and not the source? thanks

0 Kudos