How do I process multiple geotiffs into one large raster?

10-03-2017 05:41 AM
DarrenLloyd2
New Contributor II

I've tried to use the Mosaic to New Raster tool with no success. It either never finishes or distorts the image. I've let the tool run for 4-5 days with no results. I've also created a mosaic of the images which is about 130 gigs. I've tried it on and off the network. I've tried to adjust the bands, pixel type. Desperate for help! geotiff image# 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Darren,

How many tiffs are we talking about here? What's the overall size of all these tiffs? And why do you need one large raster?

It seems like maybe what you're doing is too big for one raster and maybe this should be more of an imager service that is published to the web and utilized in a more tile-like structure.

Also, this thread would likely do better in a place like https://community.esri.com/community/gis/imagery-and-remote-sensing?sr=search&searchId=f924384d-f9e0...‌. The GeoNet help is for help with the GeoNet.

DarrenLloyd2
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to the game. I have about 450 tiffs that are 366 mb each. We had high resolution imagery flown and it was delivered as geotiffs. I will ultimately replace the old imagery service with this new one. I would also like to have one large raster that I can use when making static maps. It sounds like the only way I can have this is creating smaller sized rasters for specific areas. You have helped by making me think about the use of the imagery. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I would take a look at Image Management Workflows | ArcGIS Resource Center   and

Image Management   re: mosaic databases. 

One limitation with mosaics, if you plan to publish a service with ArcGIS Server from the mosaic, you need Image Server.  If you have the extension, you can publish the mosaic. 

If you do not have Image Server and you are just trying to create a service, you can create a map service and create a cache.

CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor
  1. What version of ArcGIS do you have?
  2. Where do you intend to use this "one large raster"?
    1. First, you should create a Mosaic Dataset and add your 450 tiffs into it.  This does not copy the pixels, it only references them from the source files, so this should be complete in MINUTES, not hours or days.  The resulting Mosaic Dataset (in a geodatabase) will only take up a few megabytes of space.  
      1. You should also Build Overviews (reduced resolution views) so it will perform well when you zoom out.
      2. If you have issues with black pixels around the edges, you may need to Build Footprints.  (Do any of the individual tiffs have odd shapes or are they all perfect rectangular tiles?  Do they overlap or edge match?)
      3. As Rebecca noted, if you look at our Image Management Workflows | ArcGIS Resource Center and specifically look for the workflow titled "Preprocessed Orthos", it can help you automate this process.
    2. Then, If you are using it in ArcGIS, you are done.  Just drag the Mosaic Dataset into the map and use it.
    3. You mention "the old imagery service", so that is presumably coming from your own ArcGIS Server, or ArcGIS Online.
      1.  If you have ArcGIS Server and the Imagery Extension, you can simply share the Mosaic Dataset as a service.
      2. If you are using ArcGIS Online to host and share your imagery, you'll proceed as follows:
        • Input the Mosaic Dataset to the GP tool Manage Tile Cache to create raster tile cache (the basemap format used in ArcGIS Online).
        • Then run Export Tile Cache to convert the cache to a tile package format (*.tpk) for upload to ArcGIS Online
        • Last, run Share Package to upload and publish your image service.
        • NOTE: Unlike creating the Mosaic Dataset, the Manage Tile Cache and Export Tile Cache steps will create a copy of your data, so this will take up disk space.  After publishing to ArcGIS Online, you can delete the tile cache and tile package if desired.  If you're sharing as an image service through ArcGIS Server (step c.1.) you will not create any of these duplicate copies of your imagery
DarrenLloyd2
New Contributor II

We are in the process of transitioning to 10.5.1 but currently we have 10.3. Currently we are using a tiled cache on our dashboard interface with the Imagery Extension but I've heard 10.5.1 is slightly different. Which means we would need an imagery server license. My goal now is to create focus areas and build smaller rasters for those areas. Thanks for the help. I've learned a ton so far!

0 Kudos