How do I install Image Server 10.5.1 on the same machine as ArcGIS Server?

08-11-2017 08:27 AM
AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III

I moved my 10.3.1 Server and Image Extension to a new virtual server, which leaves me with the old physical server as a development server for 10.5.1.

I ran an update to ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 on the old 10.3.1 install, and it seemed to work. Now, in order to test Image Server, how do I install it on the same machine, since it is just a licensing variant of the ArcGIS Server install?

I want to thoroughly test 10.5.1 before I move it to production, because my SQL database will need an upgrade too. Can I do this on a single machine?  Or is it mandatory that Image Server run on a separate machine?

15 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Amy,

> Now, in order to test Image Server, how do I install it on the same machine, since it is just a licensing variant of the ArcGIS Server install?

At the ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5 release, Image Server is now designed and meant to be installed on a separate machine from the "core" ArcGIS Server (e.g., GIS Server) instance. This new deployment pattern is called 'Server Roles' - and designed to ensure you've deployed ArcGIS Server with the Image Server capabilities optimally. E.g., you would have 2 server machines: one for the GIS Server and one for the Image Server.

About ArcGIS Server licensing roles—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Amy Brassieur  I hope I am not hijacking your thread too much.  I think this falls in line and may be helpful in answering your questions more.  We are at about the same stage as you are....updating from AGS 10.2.x in our case but moving to a virtual server (in a remote city, vs local) and upgrading SQL, IIS etc.  Unlike before when I had admin rights however, I'm at the mercy of others so not able to test as much.  Such is the future.   (sigh)

Hi Derek Law,

I would have to say that the help for installing the Image Server  (or any of the "roles") is impossible to find in the help.  Your link above helped me track down what I think we needed to get started (we are just getting ready to upgrade from 10.2.x).

Based on the What is ArcGIS Enterprise?—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise   it does sound like you can put is all on one machine, assuming you have the resources (underline added):

Multiple server license roles can be applied to the same machine or site as the base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, or they can be deployed independently of the base deployment. To ensure enough machine resources will be available to support server operations, review the system requirements for each server licensing role before configuring a multirole server or server site. It is generally recommended to deploy separate sites for each role.

So, it says you can put in on one machine OR spread it out, but the info on separating is lacking.   But, I take it, assuming your server is capable (and you don't mind Image Server caching eating up the resources your have) and assuming you are licensed for the Image Server "role", you could install on one machine, you would just need to authorize it.  correct?  In, our case, for development purposes...although we do plan to separate.  We will doing all the heavy lifting with cache creation on the dev setup...then copy/deploy to a production server for cached and dynamic/function image server.  (lots to try with the new version)

There really isn't any clear info about how to "install" Image Server or and of the "additional server deployment" roles  (ArcGIS Image Server, ArcGIS GeoEvent Server, ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server, and Business Analyst Server are additional licensing roles for ArcGIS Server. ) There are links to:

but I still haven't figured out whether a second server with a role like Image Server is considered an additional ArcGIS Server machine that must be added like you would to create a cluster, or if it is a standalone machine?

Whether is is installed on one machine or multiple, the installation of the software "role" is very confusing.

BTW - Although we have a production license, due to dev license cost, we will only have the dev license thru Aug 2018, so we need to get this all up and running soon, and get all setup, cached, and deployed, etc.  Then we will only have a production license.

Thanks for you time

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Rebecca,

> Based on the What is ArcGIS Enterprise?—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise it does sound like you can put is all on one machine

While technically possible, as I said, it is NOT recommended as a deployment practice. Especially for production deployments.

> ... you could install on one machine, you would just need to authorize it.  correct?

Yes, if you wanted to run your "base" ArcGIS Enterprise + Image Server on a single machine, you don't install ArcGIS Server twice, I believe you just authorize twice. Again, NOT recommended as a deployment practice. Hence why I did not mention it earlier in this thread.

> There really isn't any clear info about how to "install" Image Server or and of the "additional server deployment" roles

FYI: You would install ArcGIS Server, then simply license it with the Image Server role (or another Server role). This becomes a separate Server site.

> I still haven't figured out whether a second server with a role like Image Server is considered an additional ArcGIS Server machine that must be added like you would to create a cluster, or if it is a standalone machine?

First, you would install and deploy a "base" ArcGIS Enterprise deployment - this consists of "Portal for ArcGIS + hosting server + ArcGIS Data Store". Then on another machine, you would install ArcGIS Server again and license it with the Image Server role. This second install is a separate standalone Server site. You would then federate the second machine with Portal.

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

>Again, NOT recommended as a deployment practice. Hence why I did not mention it earlier in this thread.

Understood.  But I can see the need to install on one machine if an organization does not have the additional hardware....especially if just for development.

>This second install is a separate standalone Server site. You would then federate the second machine with Portal.

For a number of reasons, we will not be federating.  Is federation mandatory only if having the Image Server on a second machine?  Or, do we just have two ArcGIS Server installs...not connected.  Does that mean we need a web adaptor for the Image Server that is associated with that machine?  Do you have a link to help that can explain all this better?  So far, I haven't found much info for our setup, other than the links I already sent.

What we have planned (for dev)

• one server with AGS and Portal...unfedererated
  • one IIS  server w/ 2 AGS web adaptors (one for secure and one for unsecure services), and one web adaptor for Portal
  • one SQL server (for SDE)
  • one server for Image Server .... so web adaptor?     does it need it's own external access (port 80) or does it go thru the main ArcGIS Server like it did when it was an extension?

We plan to repeat this for Prod (although the SQL server most likely will be shared)

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Rebecca,

> Is federation mandatory only if having the Image Server on a second machine? Or, do we just have two ArcGIS Server installs...not connected.

Federating the Image Server site with Portal is not mandatory, but it will depend on what you want to do with the site. You will need to federate the site if you want it to be your raster analysis server and/or if you want image layers to automatically show up as items in Portal. Otherwise, you don't need to federate the site.

FYI, some background info: Perform raster analysis—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

> Do you have a link to help that can explain all this better? 

The ArcGIS Enterprise Dev team is working on enhancing the documentation to address this topic. However, I've attached some info in the figure below.

Regarding your specific deployment scenario, I recommend you contact your local Esri account manager and they can connect you with Esri professional services to help in evaluating your deployment criteria.

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Derek.  I will contact our rep.    

I had already read thru and viewed the diagrams.  Still confused on how to get ArcGIS Server and Image Server to talk to each other when they are on different servers  (again, separate web adapters?).  Maybe professional Services or tech support can clarify.  It's not an evaluation we needs, but actual install and setup instructions, so maybe I'll start with tech support.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Rebecca,

> Still confused on how to get ArcGIS Server and Image Server to talk to each other when they are on different servers  (again, separate web adapters?)

Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with deploying Image Server, so I can't comment/help further. Please connect with Esri Tech Support or Esri Professional Services and they can better assist.

Good luck,

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Derek, I contacted tech support and this is what we came up with and what I am trying..

• on second machine, install ArcGIS Server as before (same setup file)
  • on myEsri->my Organizations -> Licensing ->Create New Provisioning File   
    • select "ArcGIS Enterprise",  "10.5-10.5.1",  "ArcGIS Server", and  "Server licensing roles only".
    • on next page, check box for the Image Server to authorize and go thru the rest of the steps to have the file emailed to me.
  • Back on the Image Server server, run thru authorization as usually, selecting the "already have file" and point to this new provisioning file
  • Goto  https://<machinename>:6443/arcgis/manager      when it asked to create a new server or join, select create a new  (tech support said they recommend not having it as a cluster)
  • finish logging in, setup security and other aspects of manager as before
    • So far, so good.  I'm able to access our   https//<machinename>:6443/arcgis/rest/services
  • NEXT STEP (not done yet), would be to set up web adaptors for this Image Server machine.  We will have to call them unique names from those web adaptors used for ArcGIS Server.  We will be using the same IIS machine and URL.    We do not have our web adaptors working correctly for ArcGIS Server yet, so this step has not been done or tested.

I have not tried to create and Image Services yet....next week.  Just wanted to finish my hijacking of this thread and provide the info for others.

MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there - has this documentation ever been improved yet? I'm still looking for instructions on how to configure one (a single) ArcGIS development Enterprise server to perform Raster Analysis by adding an Image Server Role and configuring a Raster Data Store.  I know this is not recommended, would be for testing only, but is it possible?

I have a license ready for Image Server, is it simply a matter of authorizing this existing dev ArcGIS Server/Portal (federated already) to the Image Server Role, and then selecting this machine for Raster Analysis in the Portal Organization settings? I'm confused about a few things like:

• the need to federate, if my (Portal 10.7) is already federated, can I simply turn on Raster Analytics? or do I need to federate it again(seems unlikely)?
  • there's another point in the documentation where it recommends not having one server do both Image Server and Raster Analytics, can  I authorize our existing ArcGIS Server Dev machine for and Image Server role, then just turn on Raster Analytics in our Portal if I have a Raster Data Store created/prepared?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!