How do I add elevation data from a DEM to an aerial photo?

09-08-2016 05:41 AM
ClaytonCooley2
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a feeling this is something simple that I'm overlooking, but I'm trying to add elevation data to an aerial to give the photo relief. I know I can simulate this by overlaying the DEM over the image and adjusting the transparency, but this creates a washed out image that doesn't have the contrast I'm looking for. I've attached a jpeg of what I have so far with a transparent DEM over the aerial. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

FYI: I'm not necessarily trying to create a 3D image, I merely want to merge the shaded relief DEM with the image.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You could have a look at the tools mentioned in htis blog: Take your terrain mapping to new heights | ArcGIS Blog 

or the method described here: An alternative to overlaying layer tints on hillshades | ArcGIS Blog  

If they do not provide the desired result, you may want to multiply (and stretch) the separate bands with the hillshade and combine them again in a color composite.

ClaytonCooley2
New Contributor III

Xander,

Using the Pan Sharpen tool from the Image Analysis toolbar did the trick for most part. It's not perfect but much better than what I have. Thanks for your help! I've attached the pan sharpened version.