Getting a certificate alert when I try to publish an image service

07-13-2018 11:33 AM
DanielSchatt
New Contributor III

hi all, I have a Python script that publishes an image service.  I want to automate it to run daily but when it gets to the line that actually publishes the service it gives a popup alert as follows:

"A secure connection with this site cannot be verified.  Would you still like to proceed?

The certificate you are viewing does not match the name of the site you are trying to view"

I need to manually click the "Yes" button to finish the publication and continue the code, and this prevents the automation I'm trying to accomplish.

The name of the ArcGIS Server I'm publishing to is "arcgis on mobjack.vims.edu_6080 (publisher)" and the certificate is issued to:  *.vims.edu.

Don't know if the _6080 suffix has anything to do with it but I don't know if it's possible to change that anyway.  Does anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EarlMedina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dan,

From what you describe it sounds like there may be a few ways to approach this - in any case, they all involve trust. At first glance, it appears you're establishing a connection to your server via port 6080: "arcgis on mobjack.vims.edu_6080 (publisher)" - what happens when you try the secured port 6443? Is the internal ArcGIS Server Web Server still using the out-of-the-box self-signed certificate or the certificate is issued to *.vims.edu?

Alternately, you can establish a connection via the Web Adaptor (assuming you have one set up). I presume that the Web Server where the Web Adaptor is deployed would be using the certificate is issued to *.vims.edu.

• You'll want to make sure that certificate is installed and trusted on the machine used to run the script.

Hope this helps!

DanielSchatt
New Contributor III

thanks Earl, I was able to find a work-around because testing revealed that the alert pops up right after the UploadServiceDefinition (publishing line) so the service is still being published. Then I can kill the popup by killing the automated task after a set period. But it would be nice to know why it happens, I'll try the 6443. Thanks again.. 

0 Kudos