georeferencing but no world file extensions

Jump to solution
09-19-2014 01:49 PM
KarenTillman
New Contributor

Hi!

I am georeferencing in 10.2 and have invisible world files (no extensions being created) while the raster images are all where placed and in a layer file. I need to send the world files with the data to a client. Anyone know what setting I may have changed to lose them please?

Thank you!

Karen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Export Raster World File Tool. Many raster formats store the georeferencing information in the header rather than in a world file.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Export Raster World File Tool. Many raster formats store the georeferencing information in the header rather than in a world file.

JoeBryant2
Occasional Contributor II

What formats are supported by this tool in 10.3.1? When I drag a .jp2 file which I created using the image analysis window to the input of this tool, I get an error saying it is invalid.

If JPEG2000 is not supported, how might I extract the georeferencing information in the header of my .jp2 and create a world file (.j2w)? Can I use the .aux?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Here are a few other helpful 10.3.1 help links

Export Raster World File—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

World files for raster datasets—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Supported raster dataset file formats—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

I used to to use this utility, but it sound like it is not available anymore...not sure f I would trust the download button without checking it thoroughly, based on other threads saying the software is now owned by autocad.

Handling TIFF WorldFiles With GeoTiffExaminer

0 Kudos
JoeBryant2

Thanks for the links. I had found these already and they confirmed that a jpeg2000 should work with this tool. Which is why I was confused. But Luke's reply below solved it!

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you dragging from the ArcMap Table of Contents?  If so, try using the browse for data button in the tool, or dragging from the ArcMap Catalog window.  This way you are adding a Raster Dataset to the tool, instead of a Raster Layer.

Using the browse for data button in the tool, or dragging from the ArcMap Catalog window works for me in 10.2 with a jp2, dragging from the TOC fails..

JoeBryant2

You nailed it, Luke.

I was not aware there was a distinction between the "Raster Layer" listed in the TOC and the raster dataset listed in Catalog or through the browser.

Thanks!

0 Kudos