Full Motion Video and Sounds

Jump to solution
06-09-2017 12:04 PM
Labels (1)
MathieuOuellette1
New Contributor II

Hi! We are new users of ArcGIS FMV. We’ve program a Python toolbox that is using the Video Multiplexer to automate our workflow. Our input videos (mp4) contain sound. However, every multiplexed output videos don't have sound. Is this the expected behavior of the tool or there is an option somewhere? We really need to keep audio data in the videos. I’m using ArcGIS 10.4.1 with FMV 1.3.1. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Mathieu

I have to apologize.  I was not thinking clearly in my response, and I was completely wrong.  Unfortunately we do not yet support audio in the FMV add-in for ArcGIS.  This is on the list to be added, but in the current release you will not be able to retain or play the audio.

Cody B. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Mathieu

No, there is no option you need to apply to retain audio.  I don't know of any examples where audio has been deleted.  Can you send us a sample video?

Is everything else working properly?

Cody B

0 Kudos
MathieuOuellette1
New Contributor II

Hi Cody,

Everything else seems to work properly. Our videos are properly multiplexed and I can follow them in ArcMap. The only bug I encountered during initial testing was a System.FormatException. It was caused by the decimal separator in our Windows regional settings (we normally use a comma instead of a dot).

As mentionned before we use a custom Python toolbox to multiplex our videos. I've also tested it "manually" by using the Video Multiplexer geoprocessing tool and I still loose sound.

Here's a link to a sample video and associated metadata. It was filmed with a Garmin Virb. Please let met know when you've downloaded the files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hr066t2g8oswmkr/AABclIhugs-_ftQtQUMyE7_La?dl=0

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I think it's worth to mention that I've tested it on two different computers and we've lost audio on both.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Mathieu

I have to apologize.  I was not thinking clearly in my response, and I was completely wrong.  Unfortunately we do not yet support audio in the FMV add-in for ArcGIS.  This is on the list to be added, but in the current release you will not be able to retain or play the audio.

Cody B. 

MathieuOuellette1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the information. Keeping audio content would be a great feature to add to a future release of ArcGIS FMV, especially considering that MISB does support audio (see: http://www.gwg.nga.mil/misb/docs/standards/ST1001.1.pdf).

This morning I also tried to add audio to the ArcGIS FMV multiplexed video output with ffmpeg but it turned out that it doesn't seem possible either.

Thanks for the help and please let us know when this feature will be available.

0 Kudos