ESRI UC 2015 new UAV mapping application insights

Jump to solution
07-27-2015 11:52 PM
nita14
by
Occasional Contributor III

Dear Esri Staff,

I have watched the UC Plenary Session proceeding about the new UAV mapping application. I have some questions regarding the functionality/plan for development.

1) What are the requirements for the UAV camera and GPS/INS system ?

2) What metadata is required to process still UAV images? Does it have to be FMV military standard?

3) Is the new application going to be integrated with Mosaic Dataset/ Image Service/ ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Runtime?

4) Can I do the following with the new UAV mapping application?

- Create orthorectiefied image?

- Measure a height?

- Other functionalities?

5) According to the video, the point cloud can be produced from images. What is the output of the process? Is it LAS dataset? Is there any automatic algorithms for change detection and feature detection/others?

6) What are the time frames for the app release?

7) What about working with Harris in order to create fully-capable UAV data processing solution?

Thank you in advance for any news,

Adam

23 Replies
DianaDittemore
Esri Contributor

Hi, Adam -

Pix4D is used by Drone2Map for ArcGIS as the photogrammetric processing engine. We designed Drone2Map to be used by the GIS professional and provide a streamlined experience. While we are not ready to communicate the commercial price of Drone2Map, we do look forward to a successful relationship with Pix4D and Drone2Map for ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
Mary_EleanorCadena1
New Contributor

Hi Esri Staff ,

I have questions too:

1. What if you build your own drone, would I be able to use Drone2Map?

2. What commercial drones are compatible with Drone2Map?

I have the Phantom One and it is the version that is hackable which allows me program it to be used as a Phantom 2 or 3, would I be able to use Drone2Map ?

3. This might have been answered and it is a two part question: A. Does Drone2Map allow the user the functionality to use geotag images and B. can I convert the data captured into a point feature class instead of a mosaic dataset?

Side Note: I have used the Phantom 3 Pro to collect aerial data and I was unsuccessful to access the geotag location for the photos, but I was able to create 3D mosaic dataset using Photoscan.

Thank you in advance,

Mary Cadena

0 Kudos
AnthonyMason
Esri Contributor

Hi Mary,

Drone2Map requires geolocated images with the following metadata (Image Name, Latitude, Longitude, Altitude). This metadata can come from the EXIF data or an external GPS file. As long as the imagery being collected has this metadata it really does not matter the type (build your own or commercially purchased).

Once your data is successfully imported into Drone2Map, you have the ability to create Orthomosaics, Digital Surface Models, Point Clouds, and Textured Meshes.

Best,

Tony

Mary_EleanorCadena1
New Contributor

THIS IS AWESOME !!!! I'M SUPER DUPER EXCITED AND I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY WITH NEW ESRI !!! SOFTWARE ..

Thank you so much for your time!

Mary

0 Kudos