ESRI UC 2015 new UAV mapping application insights

Jump to solution
07-27-2015 11:52 PM
nita14
by
Occasional Contributor III

Dear Esri Staff,

I have watched the UC Plenary Session proceeding about the new UAV mapping application. I have some questions regarding the functionality/plan for development.

1) What are the requirements for the UAV camera and GPS/INS system ?

2) What metadata is required to process still UAV images? Does it have to be FMV military standard?

3) Is the new application going to be integrated with Mosaic Dataset/ Image Service/ ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Runtime?

4) Can I do the following with the new UAV mapping application?

- Create orthorectiefied image?

- Measure a height?

- Other functionalities?

5) According to the video, the point cloud can be produced from images. What is the output of the process? Is it LAS dataset? Is there any automatic algorithms for change detection and feature detection/others?

6) What are the time frames for the app release?

7) What about working with Harris in order to create fully-capable UAV data processing solution?

Thank you in advance for any news,

Adam

23 Replies
nita14
by

Hi Cody,

Thank you for your in-depth explanation! There is one thing missing: 5 c) Is there any automatic algorithms for change detection and feature detection/others?

Are you going to add 'follow' or 'feature moving detection' video stream analysis in the future release? I am looking forward for incorporating UAV capabilities or even better, FMV add-in into ArcGIS Runtime. This is valid feature for all ISR systems.

Regards,

Adam

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Adam

In the first release, the UAV mapping application (expected to be called "Drone2Map") will not include any analytical functionality.  Future capabilities are not yet defined, but analytical capabilities (change detection / feature detection) will be part of the core ArcGIS Desktop tools.

Features of the FMV add-in are a separate development, but object tracking is not planned for inclusing in the FMV add-in (at least not in the next release).  The next version of FMV will have the ability to multiplex separate video and GPS streams, which will facilitate management and use of video from UAV platforms.

Cody B

nita14
by

Thank you Cody for the answers!

Regards,

Adam

0 Kudos
Ryan_Galbraith
New Contributor III

Has there been any movement or information about this new app?  Is it an add-on to ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Ryan

(As noted above) The initial release will be a standalone app, with increasing integration into the ArcGIS Platform in later releases.

Cody B

0 Kudos
DanAllen

Will the Drone2Map app be part of the ESRI BETA testing program?

Dan

0 Kudos
Ryan_Galbraith
New Contributor III

Contact your local ESRI rep.  It is a special project.  I think you must also have a drone that is compatible with the software.  There is a short list.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Nearly any drone should work, but note Drone2Map is for still frame imagery, not video.  If you are acquiring video from a drone, our newest release of FMV (v1.3, available late Jan/early Feb) will be able to "multiplex" GPS data with a video file to geotag the video.  More information coming soon Get Started with ArcGIS Full Motion Video (FMV/Drones/UAS/UAV)

re: Drone2Map, it's not the drone that we need to understand - the key is the camera (although the flight plan for acquiring imagery does impact the project as well).  We'll have a long list of compatible cameras that should make the camera portion of project setup transparent to the user, but if you are using a previously unknown camera, the key parameters needed are simple - focal length and sensor size (mm) or pixel size (microns).  GPS can be embedded in each image (EXIF tags) or an external file read in with the images.  If you have these inputs, Drone2Map should be able to process your still frame imagery.

DanAllen

So it is safe to assume if you have a DJI Phantom 2 or 3 with standard DJI cameras, it should be supported by Drone2Map for still pictures?

nita14
by

Hi All,

According to the press release "The photogrammetry engine in Drone2Map for ArcGIS is powered by Pix4D". Right, I suppose it means a higher price for the end user than Pix4D Mapper Enterprise, doesn't? What are Esri plans regarding partnerships with Pix4D?

Regards,

Adam

0 Kudos