ESRI UC 2015 new UAV mapping application insights

Jump to solution
07-27-2015 11:52 PM
nita14
by
Occasional Contributor III

Dear Esri Staff,

I have watched the UC Plenary Session proceeding about the new UAV mapping application. I have some questions regarding the functionality/plan for development.

1) What are the requirements for the UAV camera and GPS/INS system ?

2) What metadata is required to process still UAV images? Does it have to be FMV military standard?

3) Is the new application going to be integrated with Mosaic Dataset/ Image Service/ ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Runtime?

4) Can I do the following with the new UAV mapping application?

- Create orthorectiefied image?

- Measure a height?

- Other functionalities?

5) According to the video, the point cloud can be produced from images. What is the output of the process? Is it LAS dataset? Is there any automatic algorithms for change detection and feature detection/others?

6) What are the time frames for the app release?

7) What about working with Harris in order to create fully-capable UAV data processing solution?

Thank you in advance for any news,

Adam

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

The app for drone imagery is still under development, so some of this is not certain - but I will answer as best I can.

1)

What are the requirements for the UAV camera and GPS/INS system ?

The app should work with imagery from nearly any drone, presuming you have GPS and adequate overlap between images.  See below for further details

a.GPS location information (via EXIF Headers or an external file that links each image to a GPS [x,y,z] value) is required to generate good results and efficient processing.  Camera orientation metadata (from INS) is not required, but if it is available, it will improve both results and processing speed.  Note if you have *precise* INS data that provides XYZ and Omega/Phi/Kappa for each image, you do not need the new app - you can use the Frame Camera raster type (in version 10.3.1) immediately
b.camera metadata is also required (e.g. focal length & pixel size) but these values can be approximate – e.g. a metric camera model is not required as input.  There are no other specific requirements on the camera.
c.A high amount of image overlap (e.g. 80% or more both along flightlines and between flightlines) is recommended for best results.  If overlap is lower, the accuracy of your output products will be reduced.
2)What metadata is required to process still UAV images? Does it have to be FMV military standard?
a.

Metadata is listed above for still imagery.  This application will not process video (in the first release), so the question of military standard FMV would not apply.  If you have MISB formatted video, the free ArcGIS FMV plugin will allow that data to be ingested into ArcGIS Desktop.  If you have video with GPS, but not full MISB metadata, see this post:  https://community.esri.com/thread/120573

3)Is the new application going to be integrated with Mosaic Dataset/ Image Service/ ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Runtime?
a.In the first release the new application will operate in a standalone mode, not directly interfaced into ArcGIS Desktop or Runtime.  Future versions will increase integration.  All outputs from the application will be compatible with ArcGIS, and recommended workflows (with example Python scripts) will be available for ingesting the output products (see below) into the Mosaic Dataset for efficient data management, and also for sharing via Image Services.
4)Can I do the following with the new UAV mapping application?

- Create orthorectified image?

Yes, orthorectified imagery will be one of the outputs

- Measure a height?

Height measurements will be enabled via existing functionality within ArcGIS Desktop.  The new application will be intended for processing UAV imagery for ingestion into ArcGIS, but will not have analytical capabilities within the application.

- Other functionalities?

See below

5)  According to the video, the point cloud can be produced from images. What is the output of the process? Is it LAS dataset? Is there any automatic algorithms for change detection and feature detection/others?

1. The output point cloud will be either LAS format or zLAS format.  You will need ArcGIS Desktop to be able to create a LAS Dataset to reference these or any LAS or zLAS files.
    2. As noted above, the new application will not include analysis capabilities – that functionality will remain in ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro)

6)     What are the time frames for the app release?

1. Release date is not certain at this time but the application is expected to be available late this year.

7) What about working with Harris in order to create fully-capable UAV data processing solution?

1. Esri encourages collaboration with all of our business partners, but partners typically develop their own applications to build onto the capabilities of the ArcGIS Platform.  If you have requests for specific functionality, please let us know your requirements!

Drones, UAVs, UAS, and RPAs

View solution in original post

23 Replies
larryzhang

Just watch this UAS video at http://video.esri.com/watch/4652/unmanned-aerial-systems

It looks that ESRI has already obtained some solid progress on UAV mapping...

Great jobs, ESRI!

Personally, beyond the above questions by Adam, the following urgent IT implementations with Drone would be highly required:

• directly support the Drone video in ArcGIS Pro & ArcGIS Online (Portal) as plug-in & widget; and later on
  • directly allow users to model 3D from 'spatially rectified' Drone video or still Drone images;
0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

The app for drone imagery is still under development, so some of this is not certain - but I will answer as best I can.

1)

What are the requirements for the UAV camera and GPS/INS system ?

The app should work with imagery from nearly any drone, presuming you have GPS and adequate overlap between images.  See below for further details

a.GPS location information (via EXIF Headers or an external file that links each image to a GPS [x,y,z] value) is required to generate good results and efficient processing.  Camera orientation metadata (from INS) is not required, but if it is available, it will improve both results and processing speed.  Note if you have *precise* INS data that provides XYZ and Omega/Phi/Kappa for each image, you do not need the new app - you can use the Frame Camera raster type (in version 10.3.1) immediately
b.camera metadata is also required (e.g. focal length & pixel size) but these values can be approximate – e.g. a metric camera model is not required as input.  There are no other specific requirements on the camera.
c.A high amount of image overlap (e.g. 80% or more both along flightlines and between flightlines) is recommended for best results.  If overlap is lower, the accuracy of your output products will be reduced.
2)What metadata is required to process still UAV images? Does it have to be FMV military standard?
a.

Metadata is listed above for still imagery.  This application will not process video (in the first release), so the question of military standard FMV would not apply.  If you have MISB formatted video, the free ArcGIS FMV plugin will allow that data to be ingested into ArcGIS Desktop.  If you have video with GPS, but not full MISB metadata, see this post:  https://community.esri.com/thread/120573

3)Is the new application going to be integrated with Mosaic Dataset/ Image Service/ ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Runtime?
a.In the first release the new application will operate in a standalone mode, not directly interfaced into ArcGIS Desktop or Runtime.  Future versions will increase integration.  All outputs from the application will be compatible with ArcGIS, and recommended workflows (with example Python scripts) will be available for ingesting the output products (see below) into the Mosaic Dataset for efficient data management, and also for sharing via Image Services.
4)Can I do the following with the new UAV mapping application?

- Create orthorectified image?

Yes, orthorectified imagery will be one of the outputs

- Measure a height?

Height measurements will be enabled via existing functionality within ArcGIS Desktop.  The new application will be intended for processing UAV imagery for ingestion into ArcGIS, but will not have analytical capabilities within the application.

- Other functionalities?

See below

5)  According to the video, the point cloud can be produced from images. What is the output of the process? Is it LAS dataset? Is there any automatic algorithms for change detection and feature detection/others?

1. The output point cloud will be either LAS format or zLAS format.  You will need ArcGIS Desktop to be able to create a LAS Dataset to reference these or any LAS or zLAS files.
    2. As noted above, the new application will not include analysis capabilities – that functionality will remain in ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro)

6)     What are the time frames for the app release?

1. Release date is not certain at this time but the application is expected to be available late this year.

1. Esri encourages collaboration with all of our business partners, but partners typically develop their own applications to build onto the capabilities of the ArcGIS Platform.  If you have requests for specific functionality, please let us know your requirements!

Drones, UAVs, UAS, and RPAs

IanBroad
New Contributor III

Any idea on ballpark pricing? I assume probably not yet...

It will be interesting to see how ESRI's application compares with software such as Agisoft's PhotoScan and Pix4D's Pix4Dmapper.

DanAllen

Did anyone respond if the UAV processing will be a separately licensed product, or included in your desktop subscription at no additional cost?

Also, in Pix 4d you can add add ground control points visible in the images that were also shot with an RTK GPS.  Will this feature be planned for the initial release of the ESRI UAV software app?

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Dan

The Drone2Map app will require a separate license, but final pricing has not been determined.

and Yes, users will be able to enter ground control points into the process

Cody B.

DanAllen

Thanks Cody.  I guess if the Drone2Map software will be a licensed product, then I would set my expectations a little higher, and hope you can give us something similar/better, and much cheaper than the  Pix4D software I see most people using for this workflow.

0 Kudos
DanAllen

Any update on a potential release date and cost for the Drone2Map software?

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
Ryan_Galbraith
New Contributor III

Beta in Feb - just signed up for that and release in June, 2016

0 Kudos
DanAllen

Ryan,

How did you sign up for the Beta?  It does not show up in the early adopter website as a Beta program yet.  At least with my log in it doesn't.

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos