ECW File Doesn't Have .xml File Included

06-08-2016 10:06 AM
BehrouzHosseini
Occasional Contributor

I have download some .ECW files from Vancouver GIS Data at Here​ but the do not have .xml file included! Can you please let me know how I can generate .xml file for those?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

never use them, but this flags as a possibility for raster as input and xml as output with options Export XML Workspace Document—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Behrouz,

what exactly do you need the .xml file for. ArcGIS reads ECW files directly. ArcGIS will then create the .xml file with statistics after it has been loaded the first time.

You cannot write ECW though. If you do any mosaiking or extracting of imagery you will have to save as .tif or other image format.

cheers

Gordon

0 Kudos
BehrouzHosseini
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for reply Gordon,

The reason of why I am asking this is because I have an app which is supposed to display .mpk files generated from .ecw rasteres on ArcGIS Server. Now I am able to display one of the .mpk file but not sure why the other are not displaying on the map! I just check the file directory and noticed that the one which is rending on the service has .xml file but the files which we download fro the above mentioned link not then I thought this might be the reason on the issue!

0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Behrouz,

I am not sure if this is your issue, but there are license restrictions on serving ECW imagery from ArcGIS server. Hexagon, the owner of ECW format, does not allow anyone to serve ECW images as image services, unless you are using Hexagon products or extensions. So this may be the reason why you cannot see the imagery. Usually we add the imagery to a mosaic dataset and then create a map cache from the mosaic dataset. This then allows you to add the map cache as an image service.

I hope this helps

Gordon

0 Kudos
BehrouzHosseini
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for reoly Gordon ,

But how come we can see some of the .ecw but not not able to to see some other!?

0 Kudos