Drone2Map samples not processing — not yet answered

07-25-2016 11:52 AM
SUSANMYERS
New Contributor III

Hi—Have downloaded trial Drone2Map, and while trying out a few of the samples, once I click Start to process a sample, following the steps provided, the bottom status bar appears to be processing for a few seconds, and then it returns to "Ready   Completed.", showing 100% in the status bar, but no 2D Products and no 3D Products are added to the project as is stated in the sample instructions.  What am I missing, or is it still processing in the background?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
DonSolleder1
New Contributor III

Update on my situation: I uninstalled and then re-installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161. Upgraded Drone2Map to version 1.01. Did a windows update and included all of he .NET framework stuff. Now I do NOT get the completed message problem anymore. Instead i get a message that says "preparing data for visualization" and 95% appears on the right side for a few minutes and then viola! it is working!!!

However now I have a new problem. Each time I change the view by panning or changing basemap then Drone2 Map crashes!

Anyone have any ideas what is happening there?

SaraAmundson
New Contributor II

Thank you for this tip. I uninstalled and re-installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 and ran a repair on Drone2Map and I was also able to acquire the finished products. The program crashed as soon as they were loaded, but at least they are now there in the folders.

As for the crashing problems, I also have mine crash a lot when I pan and zoom. I marked it up to my laptop being hardly able to handle the program. My processor screams at me every time I use Drone2Map or ArcGIS for Desktop. I knew it would happen and I've just dealt with it because I do not have the option of using a better computer at this point in time. However, maybe some of the crashes are due to bugs in the newness of Drone2Map. I wouldn't be surprised if it were fixed  in the near future for those who's computers are actually built to handle these programs. 

0 Kudos
DonSolleder1
New Contributor III

Hi Sara, that is exactly when mine will crash is when I try to pan or zoom. It seems to help if you turn off the basemap layer. I have tried Drone2Map on both my laptop and desktop machines and the crashing only happens on my laptop. However it is a new laptop with plenty of processor and memory so I don’t know why it would keep crashing like that. Have you installed the latest version of D2M? (version 1.01). Do you have a desktop workstation that you can try it on?

0 Kudos
AnthonyMason
Esri Contributor

Could you try to uninstall and reinstall Drone2Map 1.0.1 and see if this fixes your issues on the laptop?

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Not sure if this will help with the Drone2Map crashes but it does alleviate ArcGIS Pro crashes.  Go to your Device Manager on your Windows machine and determine the make/model of your video card.  From there, go directly to the manufacturers website and download the latest driver.  Windows Update will not do this.  Install the latest driver - do the crashes continue?  Pls. advise.

0 Kudos
DonSolleder1
New Contributor III

Thanks Robert I will try that this evening and get back to you.

I also have a new problem if anyone can help. After processing my imagery I noticed about a 7 foot error (more in some areas). I decided to add some GCP’s to see if that would help. I set up 4 GCP’s in a 7 acre plot and used the links table to link them as instructed. After processing the imagery again I see NO difference. The imagery processed out in exactly the same place as if I had used no GCP’s. Did I do something wrong? Even if that is not enough GCP’s I would think that it would at least be a little better. The link locations are easy to identify so I know there is no error there. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
DonSolleder1
New Contributor III

Ok I think I answered my own question on this one. The problem was operator error

I did not provide enough links to the photos. Once I added additional links it helped alot. Still not perfect but now closer to 1m error instead of 2. Also I think having higher overlap in the images and perhaps even more images might help. Will post if I discover more.

0 Kudos
SaraAmundson
New Contributor II

Don,

I will have to try turning off the basemap right away and running the processing again on my laptop. As soon as I hit start I try to not touch anything again until it is done. I did try to run D2M on a desktop work station today. Not only did I crash D2M, but I also froze the whole machine. My apologies to the billing department. I think I need to check to make sure the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 is installed on this computer and make sure everything else is up to date as well. There shouldn't really be any other reason why D2M shouldn't be able to run on this machine. Currently I've only been able to get away with running rapid on my laptop but I would like to be able to run the 2D and 3D without too many crashes. I will try again on the desktop tomorrow.

Tony - I have tried uninstalling and re-installing D2M on my laptop and running repairs, but I believe my only solutions to ending all crashes is a better computer. Not sure what is going on with this desktop, it isn't updated as much as it should be so I'll need to look into that.

0 Kudos
AnthonyMason
Esri Contributor

You can also reduce the number of CPUs Drone2Map uses. Go into the Processing Options > Resources and slide the CPU Threads slider to the left to reduce the number of CPUs being used.

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos
DonSolleder1
New Contributor III

I have tried everything suggested.

1. updated graphics card driver directly from manufacturers website

2. updated windows

3. updated D2M to version 1.01

4. made sure that Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 is installed

The program still crashes immediately after opening on my laptop. Desktop machine seems to be ok. 

Really hoping for a bug fix here...

0 Kudos