Derived Mosaic Dataset Issues

02-26-2015 03:05 PM
Labels (1)
KennethLathan
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to create a new basemap for my team using an image service to allow them some access to the metadata. I have a bunch of different raster datasets and after reading all the help articles decided to go with the pattern of source mosaics for each dataset with a derived mosaic dataset containing the source mosaics. So let's say I have S1 (large scale), S2 (regional), S3 (city) mosaics, D1 (derived containing S1, S2, and S3 inserted as Tables, not Rasters, in order to keep the metadata.)

Here's where the trouble starts. I want to do some management of the metadata as I add things into the source mosaics. For example,let's say the users want S3 to show up sooner when they zoom in. So I need to update MaxPS. But when I update MaxPS in S3, even if I run Syncronize on the mosaics, D1 completely ignores the S3 metadata and goes back to the original raster file metadata. The upshot being, any time I want to add things, if I want to keep MaxPS up to date, I have to keep track of what I've added and query/update it in BOTH S3 and D1.

I guess my question is, why use derived mosaic datasets with the table insert option at all if there isn't an option to keep the metadata in sync? I'm basically doubling my geodatabase size for nothing at this point. Is there a reason why I shouldn't just make one huge mosaic with all my raster data?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JieZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi Kenneth,

You can try running the Synchronize Mosaic Dataset with "Synchronize Stale Items Only" and "Update Cell Size Ranges" options checked off, and leave other values in default. This way D1 will pick up the new cell size ranges from the S3 mosaic dataset.

Thanks

Jie

0 Kudos
KennethLathan
New Contributor II

Jie,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried this. Synchronize is not working when you add a mosaic as a table to a derived mosaic. I'm specifically trying to get MaxPS and ZOrder to sync, but it isn't working. (Maybe it's a bug in my version? I'm using 10.3).

I ended up going with a large single mosaic with all my data. Still curious why the derived mosaics are a recommended best practice, if you could please find out for me.

Thanks!

-Ken

0 Kudos
JieZhang
Esri Contributor

Did you try setting the parameter as I suggested?

In order for the Synchronize mosaic dataset to pick the change in MinPS or MaxPS field, you need to check off both the "Synchronize Stale Items Only" and "Update Cell Size Ranges" option.

Also if you want to update the ZOrder field, you need to make sure the "Field to update" parameter has "ZOrder" field checked on.

The derived mosaic dataset approach is recommended mainly for better organizing different types of imagery data. It is better to have mosaic datasets that are dedicated to provide overview of different types of imagery collection and derived mosaic datasets for publishing and analysis.

You can check out the help doc here for more information.

Imagery: Data management patterns and recommendations—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos