Converting aerial resolution

Jump to solution
02-12-2016 06:33 PM
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

The county I work for has aerial photography in 3", 6" and 12" resolutions, depending on what the various municipalities wanted to pay for. We want to convert the 3" and 6" data to 12" (maybe copy is a better word! not looking to get rid of higher resolution data.). There are technical and political reasons behind this. Anyway, I've done this before, but it was a while ago and don't remember how I did it. Any ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you mean resample?  Resample—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

If so, you can also play with the sampling method, depending on how much you want to fuzzify the result

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you mean resample?  Resample—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

If so, you can also play with the sampling method, depending on how much you want to fuzzify the result

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If it was me I would build caches of it all.  We just did that and got a 90% size reduction and a 10x increase in speed.  Plus they are super easy to copy around.

If you do not know how see this post  Create Cache and TPK without ArcGIS for Server - Workflows for Desktop users

MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

A mosaic dataset​ comes into mind. Then build your overviews​. Or if you want to build a single raster dataset then Mosaic to New Raster​ is an option.

Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

Thanks all. Resample is what I was thinking of. We will build a cache from the rasters. For some reason, I forget what, some server issue probably, we don't want a mosaic dataset. That was my first idea. I ended up resampling the data into raster catalogs.

0 Kudos