Convert quicktime mov to FMV compatible format

01-31-2019 07:58 AM
Labels (1)
ChristopherDeRolph
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have a bunch of .mov video files collected with a Contour camera that have GPS data associated with the video files. I'd like to convert them to a format that will work with FMV, since mov files won't. I've used VLC to successfully convert them to mp4 format, but the GPS info (I guess from the metadata) didn't come through during conversion. If anyone has any advice on how to convert these files into an FMV-compatible format that is geo-enabled, that would be very much appreciated. Finally, I apologize if this is a dumb question. I'm new to the geospatial video world. 

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NickWallingford
Esri Contributor

Chris,

Are you able to provide a sample video? .mov ought to work: if it doesn't, that's a bug we need to fix.

In the meantime, here's a workaround:

1. Use the Video Metadata To Feature Class GP tool to create a .csv file of your metadata.
  2. Use a third party conversion utility (VLC or ffmpeg are good ones) to convert the video itself into a different format. Most tools will remove the metadata stream.
  3. Use the Video Multiplexer GP tool to combine the .csv file with the converter video.

-Nick

0 Kudos
ChristopherDeRolph
New Contributor III
Hi Nick,
Sorry for working on this in fits and starts. I tried Cody's suggestion of changing the mov extension to H264, and that didn't work for me. When I try the workaround you suggest, the GP tool tells me my input mov file is not a supported video file type (see attached image). Here's a dropbox link to an original mov, an mp4 version I converted with VLC, and a few different metadata files I've created from different tools. https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dle8xeb50x9x40/exForEsri.zip?dl=0 
Any help you could offer in troubleshooting this would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Chris
image.png
0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

See FMV_FAQ.pdf - Box  

search for "MOV"

0 Kudos