Convert an Orthomosaic to vector

01-21-2016 10:33 AM
RojgarIsmael
New Contributor II

Greeting

I am Msc student in surveying engineering, I have generated an orthomosaic.tiff (its size 4.5GB) and DTM.tiff (its size 2.5GB) using Pix4D software, I need to making a vectorization to dwg or dxf in order to produce a linemap, I have tried many time to do such conversion using:

AcrToolbox->conversion tools->from raster to ployline, OR raster to polygon.

Unfortunately after a few hours of conversion nothing will display and converted file is empty.

Could you please clarify the procedure if this type of conversion is possible.

0 Kudos
34 Replies
RojgarIsmael
New Contributor II

Dear Cody

Still Iam waiting your recommendation based on the posted screenshot.

0 Kudos
RojgarIsmael
New Contributor II

Dear Cody

I have performed high-pass filter successfully (as you see in screenshot), after high-pass I have performed raster to polyline/polygon conversion unfortunately no line clear in the output, therefore, could you please instruct me how can I perform edge detection in Arc Map or python? as I understanded from internet searching about edge detection is mostly using python, actually I don't have any knowledge about python.

filter major.JPG

0 Kudos
rogelioflores2
New Contributor III

Rojgar,

First you can try to convert your DTM into a TIN using (Raster to TIN). After you do that use the (TIN Edge tool) to extract a vector line work of the TIN created from the DTM. This will display a triangular representation of your DTM elevations. Then you export your new line work shapefile to CAD (dwg). As mentioned by Cody if you seeking for elevation contours just run the (contour tool) using your DTM data.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have a huge filename issue... Spatial analyst functions generally hate filenames and/or paths with spaces, dashes and are way too long.  Try renaming you tif to x.tif or something shorter.  As a tip.. generally dont use the c:\users\blah blah folder to do anything.  Create your own folder, keep it simple and you will head off problems down the line.

RojgarIsmael
New Contributor II

Dear Dan

I have arranged as you mentioned, unfortunately again failed same error message appeared.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

next... what was your mask?  there is a comma somewhere(?) the last message is just the failure error.  So check you Environments tab in the tool and see what everything is set to.  The final thing would be to check is the checked on  ignore nodata option

RojgarIsmael
New Contributor II

Dear Dan

I have performed High-pass filter, related to the mask I have used same raster file which is needed to perform filter on it, high-pass done successfully but converted to the grayscale (as you see in the screenshot).

Currently I got edge enhancement, how can wI perform edge detection (i.e which tool can do edge detection?)

filter major.JPG     

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well it looks like the 3 attached images are the same, which is good. I can see "stuff" a car, a double lane highway a building outlines and some trees... if this originated from lidar data, I would go back to the original data and skip the tiff.  Trying to get information like linear features is going to be extremely difficult because of the disconnection between potential segment pieces.  You could play with it for days to get something useful, or use Arc-Manual and digitize the features by yourself.

0 Kudos
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hello Rojgar Ismael,

I would suggest using the workflow for Segment Mean Shift tool and the classification tools to create vectors.   Here's the link, but it will work in ArcGIS 10.3.1 or Pro.  Understanding segmentation and classification—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Arthur

RojgarIsmael
New Contributor II

Dear Arthur

Thank you for, actually your link is very useful, I have performed low-class filter before segmentation and classification, unfortunately RGB raster will converting to the Grayscale (as you see in the attached screen shots), could you please clarify how can I keep RGB after filtering?

RGB.JPG

Grayscale.JPG