Combining mosaic datasets into a new mosaic dataset

Jump to solution
09-25-2014 03:06 PM
DanDowning
Occasional Contributor

I have 3 mosaic datasets in a file geodatabase, each in a different projection (state plane east/west/north). I want to combine these 3 mosaic datasets into 1 mosaic dataset in a single projection (WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere). I created a new mosaic dataset (with the WGS projection defined) in the same file geodatabase and loaded my original mosaic datasets. The resulting combined mosaic dataset is created and looks like it works, but when I zoom in to a large scale ArcCatalog crashes. There is no error, ArcCatalog just disappears. I'm just wondering if this is a projection issue from the way I created the mosaic? None of my three original mosaic datasets display this behavior.

When analyzing the input mosaics I did get these warnings:

The overview of the mosaic dataset item may not have any participating raster datasets.

and

The raster statistics of the mosaic dataset item indicate that the raster's radiometric range might be too low for the pixel type defined for the mosaic dataset.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you,

Danny

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanDowning
Occasional Contributor

I think I've figured out what was happening. The geographic transformation was not set in the mosaic dataset properties. After setting the transformation to NAD_1983_To WGS_1984_1 the mosaic responds at all scales with no crashes. I found a reference for this here:

How does a mosaic dataset handle rasters in different projections? | ArcGIS Blog 

Still not sure about the errors I received from analyzing the mosaic, but they don't seem to affect the performance of the dataset.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanDowning
Occasional Contributor

I think I've figured out what was happening. The geographic transformation was not set in the mosaic dataset properties. After setting the transformation to NAD_1983_To WGS_1984_1 the mosaic responds at all scales with no crashes. I found a reference for this here:

How does a mosaic dataset handle rasters in different projections? | ArcGIS Blog 

Still not sure about the errors I received from analyzing the mosaic, but they don't seem to affect the performance of the dataset.

0 Kudos