Can I find the colormap from a mosaic dataset?

10-31-2019 02:49 PM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a mosaic dataset that has pre-packaged symbolization. The image legend looks like this in ArcPro:

But when it is published as an image service, it looks like this:

It is an old product and we are not in touch with the original creator, so I have to guess how this symbolization was created. I am assuming a colormap was used at some point, but I can't find a .clr file. Is there anyway to find a colormap in a mosaic dataset symbolized with one? Nothing anywhere in the MD indicates the source of its symbology that I can find. Can it be discovered and pulled out somehow? If we lose this mosaic dataset, we will not be able to create a new one and symbolize it correctly, and I had a close call. (The "delete" and "remove" options for databases in ArcPro are disconcertingly close to each other :-/) 

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Randy,

have you checked if this Mosaic has a Processing Template set as default that will create the classification (via the reclass and Attribute Table functions) and will be used when published?

In the Catalog pane, find the Mosaic, do a right click on select "Manage Processing Templates": there are different vis. options and the one used as default ... please check that first

G. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply,

There appears to be a processing template for the raster, but I don't see any information in it. I am wondering if the mosaic dataset was made by the provider and the colormap was incorporated into it in some way very hard to get at from the outside. It very clearly has deliberately designed symbolization that creates a tidy legend, but I have absolutely no idea how this was applied. I think I'll be ok if I can just keep the mosaic dataset around. One did revert to default symbology for some reason and I had to dig up an old copy of the mosaic dataset and swap it out because I don't know how to update the symbology directly.

0 Kudos