Building a mosaic dataset with only one of the dataset from raster files

Jump to solution
04-27-2015 12:51 AM
DitlevReventlow
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Everyone.

I am building a mosaic dataset from a lot of raster files. The problem is that there are several datasets in each raster file and I only need one of these in the mosaic dataset. As far as I can see you can only export the whole raster file into the mosaic.

Anyone who would happen to know how to do this?

Thank you!

Best regards

Ditlev

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

If you have 10.3, then see the link Kishor posted.  I only briefly tested this but at 10.3, I was able to add a single band from an HDF file doing the following in the Add Rasters tool:

1. Select the HDF raster type.

2. Specify your HDF dataset.

3. Open the Raster Type Properties dialog (button with hand).

4. Select the Variables tab and check the band I wanted.

This procedure worked for adding just one of the subdatasets but I only tested this with a single HDF file I had available.  It also looks like at 10.3 that you may be able to add the entire HDF file and just work with the specific data you need per the resource Kishor provided.

Prior to 10.3, you will need to use the Extract Subdataset tool to extract the band you want from the HDF files before adding them to a mosaic dataset. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KishorGhatage

Are you working with raster format like NetCDF? I would appreciate if you could provide more information about the images you are trying to add in mosaic dataset.

Kishor

0 Kudos
DitlevReventlow

They are all HDF files (Evaporatranspiration data with 5 different datasets).

0 Kudos
KishorGhatage

If you want to add single image then try following steps:

1. Add the HDF in ArcMap

2. In the table of contents right click on the image which you would like to add in the mosaic dataset and export it as a tif image.

3. Create a mosaic dataset and load the exported tiff image in mosaic dataset.

I am unable to test the workflows in the link as well as the above steps as I do not have access to ArcGIS now.

Hope this helps

Kishor

GabrielUpchurch1

If you have 10.3, then see the link Kishor posted.  I only briefly tested this but at 10.3, I was able to add a single band from an HDF file doing the following in the Add Rasters tool:

1. Select the HDF raster type.

2. Specify your HDF dataset.

3. Open the Raster Type Properties dialog (button with hand).

4. Select the Variables tab and check the band I wanted.

This procedure worked for adding just one of the subdatasets but I only tested this with a single HDF file I had available.  It also looks like at 10.3 that you may be able to add the entire HDF file and just work with the specific data you need per the resource Kishor provided.

Prior to 10.3, you will need to use the Extract Subdataset tool to extract the band you want from the HDF files before adding them to a mosaic dataset. 

DitlevReventlow

Okay i am using version 10.1 therefore I had to use Gabriels approach. The extract worked with extract subdataset, thank you very much.

0 Kudos