blend jpeg aerials at borders

11-18-2016 07:26 AM
JayMukherjee
New Contributor III

i scanned an old aerial map book and georeferenced the jpegs.  now i am trying to figure out how to blend the aerials to make them look (relatively) seamless.  i created a raster catalog and imported my jpegs.  the color correction portions don't work for me b/c the images are a single band.  i then tried to use the composite bands tool to turn the images into 3 bands.  i am not an expert, so i did research but can't find a solution.  any ideas/tips how i can make these tiled jpegs look seamless(ish)?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

What version are you using?  The Raster Catalog is a very outdated structure, replaced by the Mosaic Dataset at version 10.0.  I would recommend using a Mosaic Dataset, and read about using Seamlines and the Blend operator.  

What is a mosaic dataset?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Mosaic dataset seamlines—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

JayMukherjee
New Contributor III

i tried using the mosaic dataset, but i still get the same error i got while using raster catalog.  this time i got it while trying to color correct.  all my images are 1 band b&w (they were scanned from an old map book). i used the build pyramids and statistics tool beforehand.  thoughts?

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Jay

I will admit I have not had time to test this myself, but my engineers have told me that single band images should work.  The above error message should only occur if you have a mixture of different formats.  Note that many scanners will output either an RGB or indexed color image even if our eyes would recognize it as "black and white".  

Can you recheck the format of your images?  Or is it possible for you to share the images with us to test?  If you can share a small number of images, select an area where the mismatch in tones is particularly challenging...  Send me a private message and I can provide an FTP site for you.

Thanks

Cody B

0 Kudos
JayMukherjee
New Contributor III

cody, can you follow me so i can send you a message?  thanks!!

0 Kudos