ArcMap 10.4 and MrSID files

10-12-2016 10:44 AM
debspringman
New Contributor

Why can I not load MrSID files any more into my projects after loading ArCMap 10.4?   I've been through the help files and they say to make sure I have the supported raster dataset file formats checked by going to:

Customize > ArcMap Options > Raster > File Formats   I have checked that and MrSID files are checked.  I even tried re-downloading another copy of the SID files and it still does not work.  I have not encountered this problem with prior versions of ArcMap.  The errors I recieve when trying to load a SID file are "Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer."  and also "A selected item could not be added to the map. Failed to open raster dataset."   Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Deb,

To make sure it's nothing specific with the SID file are you able to open the attached?

0 Kudos
debspringman
New Contributor

Yes, I was able to the attachment in ArcMap.  So you think it's something with the files I have?

0 Kudos
debspringman
New Contributor

I also noticed a few of your file extensions are different from the SID files I'm trying to load.  I have a .sdw file, but not a .sdwx file.  Also your files have a .sid.aux, .sid.vat.dbf, .sid.aux  .   I have .aux, .dbf and .aux files but not with a .sid. in front of them.  Do you know if the naming conventions of the files changed with the new ArcMap version?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

All you will need to load the SID file into ArcGIS is the .sid file.  The other files contain other information such as stats, attributes, etc.  Yes, I believe it's something specific with this file.  Can you provide a link where you downloaded the image from?

0 Kudos
debspringman
New Contributor

http://www.sdgs.usd.edu/digitaldata/naip.aspx

I downloaded the Brookings County 2014 .sid file

Deb

0 Kudos
debspringman
New Contributor

Jake –

So I just put the .sid file I was having problems with directly on my C:/ (per conversation with SDGS) and it worked! So apparently I cannot grab .sid files from our file server or external HDDs anymore to use on my computer – after my upgrade to 10.4.1. I also moved your barberspt.sid file to my external hdd to see if it would pull into ArcMap and it did not. Maybe some sort of programming issue with the new version of ArcMap? These .sid files worked fine from these external locations before I upgraded.

Deb

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would check to see if it's just SID files you are having issues with.  For example, if you place a TIFF file on your external drive, are you able to successfully add it to ArcMap?