Airbus DIMAP - how to apply masks?

01-01-2019 06:44 PM
AngusHooper1
Occasional Contributor III

I am having difficulty applying mask files (GML) as footprints to a mosaic dataset that contains Airbus DIMAP data. The mosaic dataset's name field (sourced from the DIM 'dataset' tag) has 1:1 cardinality with the GML 'parent ID'. When adding these products 'as raster' to the mosaic, the footprint is defined by the raster extent. Is there a capability to leverage the underlying mask file programatically?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Angus

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you don't want to add the masks as rasters into your MD of imagery.  The system will treat them as separate rasters, not a mask to apply to other records in the MD. 

Are the mask files rasters?  the footprints in a mosaic dataset are a feature class (polygons), so ideally if you have a polygon that defines the valid area of each image, you can use this tool 

Import Mosaic Dataset Geometry—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

to define the proper footprint very quickly.

If you don't have appropriate polygons, but those mask rasters are populated with binary values (0 and 1?  or 0 and 255?), you can use "build footprints" to generate the footprints.  There may be a more elegant approach (one of my colleagues may offer further comments), but what I'm envisioning is:

1. build a temporary mosaic dataset of the mask rasters only (I'm assuming they'll have the same names as the DIMAP images?)
  2. run build footprints on the temporary MD with mask rasters with # vertices set to 4 and minimum data value = 1 (assuming mask raster is 0 in the "NoData" areas)
    1. --> check results to be sure you've got good footprints
  3. use the tool above to import footprints from the temp MD into the MD of DIMAP images

It's always helpful to let us know your software & version - are you on ArcGIS Pro 2.2?

Cody

AngusHooper1

Yes, you are correct, I am attempting to import the masks via the mosaic dataset geom tool. The issue is that there is not 1:1 cardinality and therefore I cannot reliably use the tool due to this assumptions - This tool matches the feature in the mosaic dataset with the feature in the feature class based on a common attribute field.

Using FME, I can see various unique ID's in the DIM_*.xml and the mask.gml. Unfortunately, none of these ID's are present in the mosaic dataset attribute table and therefore cannot be used. The only attribute available in the mosaic is the DIM dataset name value.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Angus

Sorry, I don't understand your data. 

1. Do you have one mask file for every image?
  2. Do the masks not have the same name as the image, or any metadata to link each mask to its corresponding image?
  3. Is the mask a raster or vector format?
  4. Are using ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro

Cody

0 Kudos
AngusHooper1

No, there are multiple masks per image.

This is all resolved now as I was able to join the mosaic dataset paths (with some string manipulation) to create unique ID's for each mosaic item that corresponds to the mask ID. Once this was established, I then used cursors to transfer the geometries across and imported it back as the footprint.

I have been using ArcGIS Pro for all of this work and have never had the GML mask file automatically applied to define the footprint for each DIMAP image. This was using the raster types as defined in ArcGIS Pro or in MDCS - per each sensor (e.g. Pleiades).

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Angus

One of my colleagues just confirmed that ArcGIS should automatically apply the GML mask file to define the footprint of each DiMAP image.  Are you using the correct raster type when you ingest these images into the mosaic dataset?
Cody B

0 Kudos